Tyler Florence Roasted Peppers in Olive Oil

Roasted Peppers in Olive Oil

Yay! I am happy to be back with Tyler this week! Unfortunately between school commitments and the fact that I am having to cook with a set of ingredients from my CSA, I don’t have much time to search out Tyler’s recipes that fit those specifications. It seems like every week, I get tomatoes, eggplants and peppers. Over and over. They are all good, mind you, it’s just that this whole eating local thing can get a little dreary at times. But pretty soon, I’m sure the cooler fall crops will kick in and I’ll be complaining about too much butternut squash.

So, anyway, let me stop my whining, and start my praising. Because Tyler’s Roasted Peppers in Olive Oil is oh-so-praiseworthy. These were wonderful, everything that I want in roasted peppers. I served them on top of some grilled brats…Heaven. Then the next day, I added them to a quesadilla…Heaven The Sequel. Seriously a bowl of these in your fridge and you are good to go, in just about any direction.

Lazy Roasted Peppers

The only modifications that I made were to use a mixture of peppers and to roast them all at once under the broiler. They don’t roast as evenly, but I don’t care. Ease of use trumps evenness every time.

Roasted Peppers in Olive Oil

6 red bell peppers
1/2 bunch fresh oregano
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place the peppers directly onto the burners of a gas stove. Cook the peppers, turning frequently, until they are charred on all sides. Put the peppers into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let them steam for about 15 minutes. (If you do not have a gas stove preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Coat the peppers with some olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Cook the peppers until they are soft and have collapsed, about 1 hour. Set the peppers aside until they are cool enough to handle.)

Peel, stem, and seed the peppers; cut them into wide strips. Place the warm pepper strips into a shallow serving dish. Top with the oregano, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar. Season them with salt and pepper and mix them gently to combine the flavors. Let them sit to cool and serve at room temperature.

This will be my entry for this week’s Tyler Florence Fridays.

Comments

For sure a very colorful dish. All the ways you used them sounds great. I know you must be very busy with school. Hope your year is a good one.

We always roast our peppers and add basil and EVOO..I never thought of the vinegar!! PERFECT ADDITION!!

I love them..Thanks for the tip and great pics..Tyler is just so adorable:)

Mmmm … I love roasted peppers! You know, I don’t think I’ve had them with vinegar (unless on a salad or something). They look great and I bet they were heaven on a plate with those grilled brats! YUM!

How is school going? Did you mention something about teaching an older class this year?

Yummy! Your photos are gorgeous, mouthwatering. I love roasted peppers. I use them in my version of panzanella, which is different every time I make it, but the best with roasted peppers in it!

5. Pam says

Kat – thank you!

La table – the vinegar is wonderful, it really does make a difference.

Laura – go for it!

Pam – they are, aren’t they?

5 Star – thank you!

Grace – poor you.

Debbie – thank you!

Noble – mine too.

Paula – yes, I’m teaching big, bad 8th graders, instead of the sweet little 6th graders.

Carolina – I bet they are good in a panzanella.

Anh – I would expect that they should keep about a week, they didn’t last that long though!

I’ve heard so many bloggers talking about CSA. I’m gathering it’s like a co-op or something? Do they deliver right to your door? Anyway, the picture of those peppers is GORGEOUS!!!!! They look absolutely beautiful.

This is quite beautiful and perfect for busy weeks in that then you have all these peppers sitting around and waiting to be used in any number of dishes!

And for the record – no such thing as too much butternut squash. And if you do start to feel that way. I can mail you my address :P.

I do mine outside on the grill, but same result. You’re right: with these in the larder, you are good to go. I love a roasted pepper and whatever cheese is on hand panini. If you have other roasted veggies, pile them on. I love that you mixed your peppers.

This is beautiful! I have to try it. And I like your attitude. I roast mine under the broiler too. Then I close them up in a paper bag to steam…