Big Bowl of Japanese Dashi Noodles

Noodle bowl

I love Asian food. My favorites are Thai and Vietnamese. The other day I realized that I have never tried to cook anything with a Japanese influence. I decided to remedy that, and I decided to begin with dashi.

Dashi stuff

I had read about dashi and I thought that it would be a good starting point. I made the dashi broth following the directions on the back of bonito flakes package. It had a light pleasant flavor, slightly salty and seafoody.

Noodles

Keeping it simple, I added some soba noodles, some sliced mushrooms and some sort of dried seaweed called wakame. This ended up being a nice light bowl of noodles. I think, though, if given the choice I would prefer the pop of the flavors of Thai and Vietnamese cuisines.

Anyone out there experienced in cooking Japanese? Anything that I should try?

Dashi
(from back of bonito flakes)

Boil 5 cups of water with a 4-5″ piece of Kombu. When it boils add 1/2 cup of Bonito Flakes, remove from heat and strain the Kombu and Bonito. Add soy sauce for a flavor enhancing noodle broth.

This will be my entry for Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Chaya of Sweet & Savory.

Comments

Hi Pam, Great post. The closest I have ever come to Thai and Vietnamese food was when I lived in New Orleans and we shared our church with an Asian congregation on Sunday afternoons. They had worship there on Sunday afternoons and then always cooked a big dinner.

Since I worked at that church, I could smell their dinners for days after they had been there on Sunday. Does smelling it count?????? ha

Thanks for the interesting post.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

I love Thai, Japanese and Vietnamese food. We found a new Thai restaurant near us and plan to try it soon. I’ve never tried to cook Asian influenced food though. Well, we do make sushi. Does that count? Love the photo.

A gorgeous bowl of dashi noodles! I’ve been really wanting to make dashi broth and haven’t gotten around to it yet, will have to pick up bonito flakes. I’ve made onigiri rice balls before, those were yummy.

every time I try any Asian cooking, I fail completely, I have promised myself that I would take a class someday, but I have to be careful. My husband teaches Kung Fu, we have all sort of Asian friends and I really don’t want to be embaressed…

Soba w/ dashi is one of the simplest noodle dishes around.

I love it with a little grated ginger and some minced green onion.

I’m a huge fan of sushi and that’s really the only time I dabble in Japanese cuisine. I do cook Chinese and Thai a lot, though.

I actually have dashi and bonito flakes in my pantry, but have never quite known what to do with them. This sounds incredibly simple – right up my alley.

i’m not an aficionado of asian food, so suffice to say that i’m unfamiliar with a lot of the common ingredients. this dish is definitely a new one on me, and it’s a looker!

I love Thai dishes too, primarily because of my basil addiction. I’ve tried the 12 step program but those 12 steps are usually out the door to my basil plants;)

The noodles look great. I’m not much help on authentic Japanese cooking. All of my Japanese dishes are really americanized versions of Japanese like Tepanyaki style stuff.

Hi Pam! I LOVE Japanese food. But then I”m biased since I’m half japanese and grew up eating japanese foods. I make lot’s of “homestyle” japanese dishes. As a matter of fact, I just had dashi with rice for breakfast this morning. Simple dashi sprinkled on the rice so that the dashi begins to dance and then add a light spray of soysauce and then I add one umeboshi on top. Super easy and one of the many things I grew up with. I hope you try more japanese foods! ;-)

We lived in Japan for a few years when I was a kid, and I loved a lot of their staples/ common food, like rice balls rolled in sesame seeds and wrapped in seaweed, and barbecued pork/ chicken meatballs from street vendors. As an adult I’ve played around with udon noodles and tried to re-create a vegan noodle dish from a lunch joint in Santa Monica. But overall, I’m with you: Vietnamese rules in my book.

I much prefer Japanese to any other style of Asian cooking. It seems lighter to me – more of string quartet than the *rock concert* that is Thai or Vietnamese. Your broth is a classic. Miso soup is also a good one. Very similar to this. There are so many good Japanese dishes. Most very simple with the emphasis on incredibly fresh ingredients – nabemono, tempura, tonkatsu, yakitori, okonomiyaki. Then there’s the fancy ones like sashimi and sushi. Enjoy

Ohh Pam, I’m totally going to try this out, I can have rice noodles on my diet WEET! So I’m heading to the asian foodstore tomorrow. I think I’ll put a little fish in my soup though, I have to have some protein in there.

Thanks for the post!

Looks delicious! I find adding some grated ginger or daikon radish peps up dashi or miso soup broth quite a bit. I am a fan of soba noodles with edamame in any kind of stock and ramen, and sushi and sashimi of course.

I am an Asian food fan as well, but Thai is definitely my favorite. Sushi is my favorite Japanese food. I eat it just about once a week. I am an addict.

I saw dashi on Top Chef yesterday (I was watching an episode from this season that I had missed). Looks good!

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Japan and it was amazing! Some of the best food I’ve eaten. This recipe sounds wonderful. I have some powdered Dashi stock that I haven’t used yet. Time to open it I think!

I love the post. I too, love Asian but never cooked any Japanese dishes.

I just received a gorgeous book called Basic Japanese Cooking. Between this post and that book, I guess I’ll be trying some dishes soon.

Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.