Knockwurst with Braised Cabbage and Apples

Braised Cabbage

Raise your hand if you can make braised cabbage look good in a picture? Oh really. Would you kindly tell me how. See how in my photos I’ve distracted you from the overall beige colored meal with my cute and quirky vintage dish towel. Pretty clever, don’t you think?

Braised cabbage. How can something that smells so funky, taste so good? Speaking of smelling funky, every time I make braised cabbage I remember house hunting in St. Louis. We went to look at a house right around dinner time, and the family was just sitting down to eat dinner. They had obviously been cooking some cabbage. You wouldn’t think that you would have to tell someone to not cook cabbage when you are having people come look at your house, but apparently you do. Fresh baked bread aroma – yes, cooked cabbage – no. Pretty simple.

Braised Cabbage

When my CSA gave me some adorable heads of cabbage, I knew what I wanted. What immediately popped into my mind was cabbage, apples, and sausage. In some sort of combination. Since I am creatively cookerly challenged, I turned to someone who can create anything from anything, and of course, that would be Martha. Her Knockwurst with Braised Cabbage and Apples was just what I was looking for.

It was wonderful! I mean really, really good. I’ve made versions of this before and this was definitely the best. I think it was the apple cider and the vinegar. I made the recipe pretty much as written except that I subbed Bratwurst for Knockwurst. Hey, they’re both wursts…whatever that is. I’m not going to post the recipe here, since you can just follow the link above to Martha. Tell her Pam said Hi!

Comments

1. Mom says

Love cabbage with anything. I’ve discovered, when I make polish sausage and kraut, I also put in apple sauce…really tastes good.

The pic looks just like what it’s supposed to look like..cooked cabbage…lol

Mom

There’s a city up in northern California that smells like cooked cabbage. The entire city.

I think cabbage and apples are a really great pair. And for the record, I like your dish towel.

Laughed out loud at your “how does anything that smells that bad taste so good?” So true. Stinks up the entire house. But it doesn’t stop me from making it. I make a red cabbage and apple dish and neighbors can smell it!

I love cabbage cooked just about any way. I does stink up the house! I can’t smell anymore, so it doesn’t bother me!! This recipe looks delicious.

Maybe add a couple of slices of beets to it. It will give it a nice color. I do this when making poached salmon and it looks a little more exciting in pics :-)

you make knockwurst cute with a great background…like a quirky and cute vintage dish towel. And then you enjoy it, because who doesn’t like sausage regardless of its name?

I’m totally going to steal your distraction idea, although your photos never require distractions … your stuff always looks good. I think you are actually a food stylist in disguise.

As a kid, I detested the smell of cooking cabbage, but loved the taste. That remains true to this day. And cabbage with apples and wurst? Yum, heavenly!

Cabagge reminds me of having to kiss a few toads to get a prince. You have to get through the smelly part to get to the real good tasting stuff.

Just because it’s not photogenic doesn’t means the taste isn’t over the top!

Some very delicious things are just not photogenic. I love cabbage, braised or boiled. I do agree that adding apples not only makes for a delicious contrast but helps a bit with the scent, too.

10. Pam says

Mom – the applesauce does sound like a good idea.

Amy – wow I can’t imagine an entire city smelling of cooked cabbage!

Buffalo – great idea to mix in the purple cabbage.

Barbara – I know sometimes the smell lingers too!

Year – yeah, you’d think cabbage smells would be a no-brainer.

Kat – it was delicious!

337 – ooohhh beets are a great idea!

Grace – oh no, a cabbage hater!

Marjie – I know, all sausage is good.

Betsy – me too!

What a perfect fall dish, just makes you feel warm all over. My Mom used to be make Knockwurst and Cabbage but your addition of apples just sounds so good!

Cabbage and apples are just something that scream fall to me. Not sure why.

Cooked cabbage yields quite an unfortunate smell. But the tastiness of it definitely makes enduring it worthwhile.