Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti

Biscotti

This time of year. It is a time of miracles. One is occurring right now, that you may not have stopped to ponder…..I am posting a holiday recipe ahead of time! True it is a mere one day before the holiday, but still!! And since I posted a holiday/party recipe yesterday, I was technically two whole days before the holiday! So there. One of these years, I may actually get into the whole 12 days of cookies thing, but I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you.

Now, technically there is nothing that absolutely screams holiday about Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti. Chocolate and mint are good anytime. Think, girl scout thin mints and York Peppermint Patties. See. Good anytime. But my very favorite Christmas candy is candy canes, so I love any reason to crush up some peppermint candy.

Biscotti

These are really good. They don’t come out as hard as some biscotti, more like a dry cookie. They are completely scrumptious dunked into coffee. Be sure and follow that link above, there is a treasure trove of biscotti recipes!

Chocolate-Peppermint Biscotti
Makes about 3 dozen

1-1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
3 eggs
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup coarsely chopped peppermint candy

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet (or use parchment paper).

In a large bowl, mix together sugar, butter, extract, and eggs (I used a mixer). Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.

Divide dough into 2 equal portions.Shape each into a 10-inch by 2-inch log on the baking sheet, about 3 inches apart.

Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from oven and place baking sheet in a wire rack to cool 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees.

Transfer each log to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Place the slices cut side down on the baking sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes, turning biscotti over once during time.

Cool on wire rack.

Melt remaining chocolate chips. Dip half of each biscotti into the chocolate and sprinkle with peppermint candy. Allow to cool on waxed paper.

Christmas
I took the branches that we had to cut off our tree and put them in a milk bottle and hung some vintage ornaments on them. My husband thinks it looks silly. I told him that’s because he doesn’t read decorating magazines.

Comments

I made biscotti this year too and considered posting yesterday which would have been ahead of time. But I had eaten so many biscotti that I couldn’t bear to look at the photos. Or write about the cookies. Thus, we shall have to wait until after Christmas.

These look fantastic! And you are right, no time is a bad time for chocolate and peppermint.

I love your pine arrangement. I am going to do that too! What a great idea. As soon as the sun comes up, I will be outside with the pruners.

The biscotti looks so festive! Wishing you and your husband a wonderful Christmas, Pam.

LL

I always, ALWAYS am sure to read your entire post because there is so often a witty line at the end. I am thankful for you and for your blog and the tidbits of you that come through.

oy, i don’t read decorating mags and i love it! i have never made biscotti, but your combo is pretty inticing~

thank you so much for sharing at fws, i think you know i love your style… like your decorator mag quality leftover branches ;-)

merry xmas to you and your wee furry ones.

I really need one of these to go with my coffee! I should try making these. I’ve never make Biscotti. This looks like a terrific combination! Merry Christmas!

Sounds absolutely delicious, Pam. I could gain a WAD of WEIGHT eating all of the goodies people are posting this year…. I only made one thing, my mother’s Orange Balls.. I may post them after Christmas. They are simple and SO good.

Merry Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

Thank you for the great link to the recipes for the biscotti and other yummy Italian foods. I also made two kinds of biscotti this year for gift giving. I made traditional anise/almond and gingerbread flavors. After making all my gift baskets I only had four left. Guess I’ll have to make some more. Have a wonderful Christmas. I so enjoy reading your blog.

I’ve come to the conclusion that husbands don’t know diddly about decorating ;) I think it looks really pretty and so do the biscotti! Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Merry, Merry Christmas sweet Pam!! (And to your family, too.)

Wow, do I LOVE your blog… these biscotti look out-of-this-world fabulous.

I’m loving your Christmas decorations too ~ just my style, and you’ve done them so well. The vintage ornaments on your hanging chandelier are brilliant!

All the best to you and your family in 2010. I’m soo happy you are blogging, I learn something every time I visit.

Hugs and love, m.

P.S. Thanks for the link-back to my blog to the Almond recipe, I really like those too. I’m ever thankful to my friend Monique for sharing it.

The biscotti looks fabulous. I wish I saw your post before I finished my holiday baking. I might just have to make a batch of these Christmas afternoon. We have already eaten almost all of my previously baked ones. Yes, I must make these. Have a wonderful Christmas Day!
    Maureen