Meatballs in Tomato-Wine Sauce

How, and when, do you use your slow cooker? If you’re like me, it is primarily used through the week. It’s used to cook your dinner all day, while you are off at work. My problem is that I leave for work at 6:15am and we eat dinner at 6:00pm. So, whatever I cooked in the crockpot had to cook for about 12 hours. Not a lot of things (except for beans and some soups and stews) really benefited from 12 hours of cooking.

Then one Sunday, I made dinner in the slow cooker, because something had come up through the week and I didn’t get around to making it on Thursday when I was supposed to. So, while I was doing my usual Sunday things, which always ends in an afternoon wine tasting, my dinner was cooking away. Suddenly a light bulb went off. This was perfect. While I was sitting there sipping my wine, my dinner was cooking!! I didn’t have to worry about getting up to chop some onions, or slice some veggies, or anything. I could relax and enjoy my wine. Not only that, but now a whole slew of recipes suddenly opened up. Recipes that only required 5-6 hours of cooking were now doable. Things that I did not want to cook to death in a long 12 hour cooking spree were an option!

So, you are regularly going to be seeing some slow cooker recipes, because, just like a spatchcocked a chicken every Sunday in the summer, I will now probably slow cook something. I am an incredibly boring creature of habit. I may be boring but this Meatballs in Tomato-Wine Sauce from Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann was anything but boring. I liked the flavorful touches in this recipe, like using the wine to scrape up the bits of onion and then using some more to get all of the browned bits from the meatballs. Things like that add lovely extra layers of flavor.

Meatballs in Tomato-Wine Sauce
Sauces one pound of pasta
Serves 6

1/4 teaspoon dried basil, or 3/4 teaspoon fresh minced basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, or 3/4 teaspoon fresh minced oregano
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
dash of ground allspice
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup dry red wine

For the sauce: heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes scraping up the browned onion bits.

Add the onions and wine to the slow cooker with the rest of the sauce ingredients. Allow it to cook on high, while you prepare the meatballs.

For the meatballs: mix the ground beef with the rest of the meatball ingredients in a large bowl. Gently but thoroughly blend it (either with your hands or a large fork, but be careful not to compact the meat. Gently shape the mixture into about 12 meatballs, no bigger than a golfball.

Heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to slow cooker. Pour off fat from the skillet and add the wine. Cook over high heat for 2-3 minutes, scraping up the browned bits. Pour over the meatballs. If the meatballs are not covered by sauce, gently spoon some over them. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Remove bay leaf and serve.

Comments

I really need to get around to making things from this cookbook apparently! It’s a gold mine and I didn’t even know it.

I need to start using my slow cooker more. It would make my life infinitely more convenient. I’ve also started cooking things overnight and then just throwing the whole crock pot “bowl” in the fridge in the morning before I leave for class, this way I don’t have to worry about it. It works because most things made in a crockpot taste better with time because the flavors meld. Something to try perhaps?

I use slow cookers all the time- I have two large ones, not including my big Nesco roaster- which can be used as one. Once, when first married, my wife threw the pasta sauce and meat in all at once…Have you ever had Italian flavored poi? You could have used this for grout!

One of my slow cookers has a timer, which is a godsend. I can cook all day and then it switches automatically to a “keep warm” setting, so things don’t get overdone. Next, I want the slow cooker that Williams-Sonoma sells, with the insert that can go on the stovetop. You can brown meat in the insert, then pop it into the cooker.

Oh yea!!! I am all over this. I’ve been using my slow cooker so much lately that instead of transporting it back and forth from the pantry to the kitchen, I’ve just left it out on the counter top.

However, I’ve been so disappointed with a lot of the recipes I’ve tried (not including my complete chicken casserole disaster.) Everything seems to be SO bland. Do you find that? I’m excited about this one – can’t go wrong with meatballs.

Love this recipe and can’t wait for more. I’m like you, use the crockpot during the week so meals are prepared for dinner while I’m at work. I’m not gone as long as you during the day however, which makes it easier.

I think I should have a resolution for next year to use my slow cooker more – I love the idea, I just haven’t really mastered it yet… any good veggie recipes (anyone?), please let me know! :)

I use my slow cooker a lot! Recently I received a newer model as a gift and for some reason the crock over 5 months kept cracking until it cracked all the way through and was leaking a small amount in the cooker. Anyway, they sent me a new one because it was under warranty. This one will cook anywhere from 4 to 10 hrs and then go to warm. It’s called a Smart Pot Crock Pot. I am looking forward to using it and will check out the cookbook you recommended. The recipe you made sounds delicious. Thanks.

I always “forget” to use my slow cooker. How I can forget about it when it sits on the countertop staring at me, I’ll never know. Working from home gives me some advantages that I never take ermmm…’advantage’ of, so I’m definitely going to give this one a try.
    Probably. ;-)

I just made split pea soup in my slow cooker. I didn’t know they made them with timers. That would solve the problem of something needing your attention. This looks like a great recipe.

Nice blog. Meatballs in Tomato-Wine Sauce looks yummy. It’s a perfect combination. Would try this at home and hope it taste well.

it’s kinda interesting (or maybe not at all interesting, depending on who you are), but i’ve eaten a lot of spaghetti in my time and many meatballs, but i’ve never had spaghetti and meatballs. this looks absolutely irresistible though–three cheers for the slow cooker!

OH this sounds so good after all the turkey for Christmas. Never thought to add allspice to my pasta sauce before, but I sure will now!

We have two slow cookers but really haven’t put them to much use in the past year.

I might have to give this spaghetti a shot though, because it looks wonderful.

Pam, this is the 3rd pasta with meatballs thus far come through my reader and I’m enjoying each & every post. Shall I bring some wine?