Cody McFayden – Shadow Man and The Face of Death

When did you discover that you love to read?  My earliest memories are of books.  Trips to the library, shelves filled with books, books scattered all over the house.  I will read anything and everything, if it is laying around my house and it has words on it, I will read it.

Something that was usually laying around my house when I was young were my mom’s True Detective magazines.  I loved those magazines.  Scary, yet I couldn’t tear myself away from them.  I remember pouring over the pictures of the body bags, the garish black and white crime scene photos.  To this day, I remember a photo of a simple, comfy armchair with a pair of shoes on the floor in front of it.  The caption read something like “This is where Suzy last sat, while babysitting.” I remember that so clearly, because it popped into my mind every single time I babysat!  Every single time.  I would, of course, be thinking.. “don’t think about it, don’t think about it, don’t think about it” over and over in my head, but you know how well that works.

So, what I’m saying is my love for scary, gory, crime, murder, and mystery goes way back.  My favorites are the psychological thrillers.  You know, the ones where you have some really crazy killer and you try and get inside their heads.  Love those.  Which is why, I am completely thrilled to discover Cody McFayden.

I started out reading Shadow Man.  Loved it.  Hugely.  Then through the power of my Kindle, within minutes, I was able to get his second book, The Face of Death.  Loved it.  Guess what’s on my Kindle right now, yep, his third book, The Darker Side: A Thriller

These books are everything I love in a psychological thriller.  Intelligent and extremely sadistic and frightening serial killers stopped only by slightly more intelligent FBI profilers.  This is my favorite tv show, Criminal Minds in book form.

And let me say one last thing about the Kindle .  This right here is my new favorite reason to love my Kindle.  The ability to read an author, discover you love them, and with the press of a button, read all of the rest of the books that author has written.  I will be able to finish series so easily now.  I love it.

Both books 4 1/2 stars from me.

Comments

Oooo, I remember babysitting and being scared. Those poor kids had ME watching THEM???
    My father was a huge reader. I think it was a great example.
    I actually started my own obsession in my early 20s.

I have always loved reading… It breaks my heart that my nieces have no interest, and it is trickling down to their children… Sigh

Favorite author… Lawrence block, favorite series, Mathew Scudder, favorite if the series…

Eight Million Ways to die

I am not so keen of this type of story, but I am like you when it comes to reading. I cannot be without a book and a good pile on reserve. I was always with a book as I child too. I remember when I turned 14 my local library, a small but good one, gave me an adult library card. I didn’t know where to start, so I just started at A and worked my way around the authors :)

now i get it, you were desensitized young! my sister reads true crime too, she is 16 years older then me, she grew up in hollywood during its hey dey, she was hooked starting with the real life crime of the lana turner/johnny stompanato murder. i don’t have the stomach or nerves for any of it… i think the last thing i read in that venue was helter skelter, i couldn’t sleep thru my college years!

i was reading before kindergarten, when i was about 7 my father had me attend a speed reading class he was offering his employees at work. i think it made a big diff, both my sister and i are avid, fast readers. my childhood was nancy drew books, i recall my brother sat down and read the entire set of the world book encyclopedias one summer.

i feel askew when i am not reading, there is something so entertaining to me about getting lost in my eyes mind. i just don’t wanna be scared! i have a photographic memory :-(

my best moment with kindle was when i finished a book on a road trip, in the middle of nowhere, going 70 mph down the freeway, i downloaded a new book and was reading again in less then a minute~

and thanks to you teaching me about kindle on the pc!

psst, can i mention food for thought again? stop by my blog and learn how to make reading an interactive sport!

They created a reading group when I was in first grade- for three of us. We were reading at a fifth grade level… when I was about nine, we went to the branch library and I tried to take out Bruce Canton’s book “Terrible Swift Sword” the history of the Civil War.. Librarian said I was too young to read it, my sister said “Let him read a page for you” I got the book!

Having spent twenty years in corrections, I have known a lot of real killers. The ones in books are a lot better.

Glad you are enjoying your Kindle. Of course, the ease of ordering books could be a budgetary nightmare for a bibliophile.

I don’t have a reader yet, but my iTunes wishlist hovers at over $50 right now. Add a book reader and my pension may not be enough. I might have to go back to work.

Mike

I remember a book I was given as a young child. It had fairy tales and poems. I loved the Owl & the Pussycat…such a beautiful illustration, too. Then I had a wonderful third grade teacher, Mrs. Hill who really encouraged reading. I fell in love with Pippi Longstocking. Because of Mrs. Hill, by the time I reached sixth grade I was reading at a sophomore in college level.

Oh, I remember being quite little and reading Dr. Seuss and other little kid books, and then graduating into “older” kids books. My mom volunteered in our school library, and when I was really little, she used to pick out books for me and leave them in our “secret spot” so I could find them. It was our little secret, and I used to get so excited when I would find something from her. I, too, love thriller mysteries, although there have been a couple that scared me so bad with their violence that I stick more to cozy mysteries these days. I’ve not tried the Kindle, but I’m glad you like it. Before Kindle, did you prefer paperbacks or hardcovers?

I love to read too. This book sounds right up my alley, I love Criminal Minds. Do the Kindle books cost less than “real” ones? How long does it stay in your possession? I’m not sure how it works. Doesn’t the screen hurt your eyes after a while?