Jan’s Tuscan Meatloaf with Roasted Red Potatoes

A slow cooker is a Sunday afternoon’s best friend.  Oh, I know.  It’s Sunday, you have all day to cook and play in the kitchen. Why use your slow cooker?  Well what if you do want to play in the kitchen, and by play, I don’t mean cook dinner.  I mean, maybe bake or try making homemade pasta or pickles.  Something fun.  Or maybe you want to play outside.  Or maybe you want to lie on the couch and read.  Or maybe you have 5 episodes of Real Housewives of Orange County to get caught up on.  See?  See the beauty of slow cooker Sunday!

With all this ridiculously cold weather in the south, I wanted comfort.  What is more comforting than meatloaf and potatoes?  I had never made meatloaf in the slow cooker, and I wasn’t sure how it would turn out.

But it was wonderful.  My meat was pretty lean, grass fed stuff, so there wasn’t a lot of grease. This recipe was also wonderful.  Unique.  Not your every day meatloaf.  A nice change of pace.  This recipe can be found in:

Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Recipes for Entertaining

• 3/4 t crumbled dried oregano
  • 3/4 t crumbled dried basil
  • 1/2 t fennel seeds
  • 6-8 medium-sized red potatoes quartered
  • 2 T unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup ketchup

Place the beef in a large mixing bowl.  Tear the bread and process in a food processor until reduced to crumbs.  Transfer to the bowl, add the onion, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, 3/4 teaspoon of the paprika, the oregano, basil, and fennel.  Using your hands or a large fork, mix gently, but don’t compact the meat.

Make an aluminum-foil cradle that will help you easily remove the meatloaf.  Tear a sheet of foil that is about 20 inches long.  Place the foil along the edge of the counter and tear in half the long way.   Fold each piece in half lengthwise, then again in half lengthwise. Place the foil strips in the crock in a cross shape, centering them.  The edges of the strips will hang over the edge of the crock.  Place the meat mixture in the crock on top of the strips.  Shape the meant into an oval or round loaf depending on the shape of your cooker.  Bend the strips in toward the meatloaf so they will not prevent the cover from closing properly.

In a small bow, toss the potatoes with the melted butter and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon paprika;  arrange on top of the meatloaf.  Cover and cook on low about 6 hours.

About 30 minutes before the cooking time is over, pour the ketchup over the meatloaf.  You can remove the potatoes at this point (but I didn’t).

Comments

Pam, gorgeous photos. They just pop off of the page they’re so beautiful. I don’t have a slow cooker but now I wish I did. I didn’t realize you could make meatloaf and things like that in them. Very interesting.
    Sam

Okay, wait.. hold the phone. You don’t need to pre-cook the sirloin? And there isn’t any sauce/broth to pour over the meat? And the foil doesn’t burn?

I want to make this.

3. Anonymous says

I cannot tell you how excited I am to know of your blog….I have never been this motivated to cook. It is so great to be able to cook something and then be able to discuss that very receipe with someone who is excited about cooking and not just getting something to the table. LOVE THE PHOTOS OF THE FOOD ….BEAUTIFUL! Well, tonight is Thai noodle salad, tomorrow Lemon Chicken pasta, Saturday Salmon and Sunday slow cooker meat loaf!!!! Thank you for sharing your passions. My world is better for it.

Yeh! Grass fed beef! Why has it never occurred to me to make meatloaf in the crock pot? And, potatoes with it? Genius idea. Ditto to the foil strip tip, too. YUM. By the way, used your recipe from Monday (Salmon w/pineapple rice) for dinner last night. Adapted it for chicken. Marvelous! My youngest had 3 servings of the rice! The kitchen smelled marvelous, too.

Pam, that cradle is so darn ingenious ~ I’m going to have to remember that tip.

Your meatloaf looks soo good! Your photos just keep getting better and better… but how can that be? They were fabulous before.

RH of Orange County… I feel like I need to take a shower after watching (and not in a good way.) lol!

Hope you’re having a great day. xo

I don’t even have a slow cooker anymore. And when I did, they were called crock pots. Things change drastically when your family is grown and gone. And then I see a recipe like this one and debate: shall I invest in one? Yummy, Pam!

hooray for the slow cooker, perhaps the most underrated of all kitchen tools. my favorite part of a slab of meatloaf is the ketchup-y part on top. looks purty tasty, pam!

I rarely ever use my slow cooker any more and there’s no reason why either.

Was just thinking of making meatloaf this week too.

Try 1-2 TBL of horseradish next time. I’m particularly fond of the pink horseradish!

I’ve never made one in a slow cooker before, interesting idea. I love meat loaf sandwiches the day after, best leftovers in the world.

I have never made meatloaf in a slowcooker. Beautiful meal, beautiful photos, but for now, I’m going to spend my Sunday time in the kitchen. It’s my day at least until I retire.

I like the strips to remove it easily, idea. I am always after new recipes for meatloaf. My husband is the meatloaf eater and I like to make it a treat for him.

You are right about Sundays. I have lots to do on Sundays and it is nice to know dinner is cooking, all by itself, and I can follow my heart.