Slow-Roasted Chipotle Salmon with Pineapple Cilantro Rice

I don’t know about you, but I have never been able to make a Rachel Ray recipe in 30 minutes.  But that’s okay.  My weeknight recipes don’t have to be just 30 minutes.  I don’t mind spending an hour, as long as it’s not a strenuous difficult hour.  Because when there is lots of chopping and cooking and pots and pans and that goes on for too long, I tend to get teary-eyed.  And I sometimes use bad language.  Especially if I’ve had a bad day at school.

So when I saw the recipe for Slow-Roasted Chipotle Salmon with Pineapple Cilantro Rice was an hour, I didn’t immediately close The Cuisine at Home, Cuisine Tonight Cooking mag.  Yeah, it was an hour, but it was any easy hour.

And believe me, it was an hour well spent.  This was amazing.  The salmon had just the right amount of heat, and the pineapple rice was the perfect accompaniment.  And the sauce.  Oh what can I say about the sauce?  A reduced white wine with ginger and lime juice and butter sauce???  Yes.  I can’t urge you enough to make this.  Also, look for that mag, I have made the Tortilla Chip Chicken, the Mediterranean Chops, and Sausage-Stuffed Portobello’s from it.  All excellent.  And I still have a zillion more things marked to try.

Slow-Roasted Chipotle Salmon

• 3 T. adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo
  • 3 T. brown sugar
  • 1 t. kosher salt
  • 4 skinless salmon fillets (6 oz each)
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 2 T. sugar
  • 2 T. fresh ginger, grated
  • 2 T. fresh lime juice
  • 2 T. unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 t. cornstarch
  • 1 T. scallions (green part only), thinly sliced

Preheat the oven to 225.  Line a baking sheet with foil, and coat with cooking spray.  (I just brush on olive oil).

Stir the adobo sauce, sugar, and salt together. Place the salmon on the baking sheet and brush the tops with half of the sauce.  Roast in the oven for 30-45 minutes depending on how thick the salmon is.

Adjust the heat to broil, brush the remaining glaze on the salmon, and broil 3 inches from the heat for about 3-5 minutes.

Combine the wine, sugar, ginger, and lime juice in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil and boil until reduced to about 3/4 cup (about 7  minutes).  Blend the butter and the cornstarch and whisk into the sauce.  Simmer until thickened, about  1 minute.  Stir in the scallions and serve with the salmon and the rice.

Pineapple Cilantro Rice

Makes 4 cups

• 1/4 cup onion, diced
  • 1 T. unsalted butter
  • 1 cup long grain rice
  • 1 can crushed pineapple, undrained (15 oz)
  • 3/4 cup pineapple juice (6 oz)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 t. kosher salt
  • 1 t. sugar
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

Saute onion in butter in saucepan over medium-high heat 3 minutes.  Stir in rice and saute for one more minute.

Add pineapple, pineapple juice, water, salt and sugar.  Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, 25 minutes.  Fluff rice with a fork, then stir in cilantro.

Comments

Hubby’s going to love that I’m bookmarking this recipe. He’s a salmon freak and I’m always looking for different ways to make it.

It only takes Rachel Ray 30 minutes because she has helpers!

This sounds/looks absolutely delish – printed it out. I love salmon. I have a few recipes that include apple, but pineapple seems perfect to counter the strong flavor. I might cut back a tad on the adobo – kids and all.

that rice sounds pretty spectacular. of course, the mere mention of cilantro excites me, but that’s beside the point. lovely meal, pam!

Pam, spectacular looking meal! This recipe has some amazing flavors going on and would need an hour just to meld together.

Cooking for me is a form of therapy and I don’t like to rush it, just enjoy each moment.

Many thanks…

Sounds wonderful! I love the colour on the salmon.
    I can’t make anything in the time given either, I take at least twice as long. (took me 4 hours to make empanadas last night.. I am really slow..)

Okay Pam, now you’ve done it.

9:23AM and I’m craving Slow-Roasted Chipotle Salmon with Pineapple Cilantro Rice!

It’s your photos, they are KILLER! Nice work. I’m definitely putting this on the TO MAKE short list. Looks fabulous, thanks for sniffing out the recipe and sharing it.

This looks gorgeous. Never heard of chipotle peppers in adobo. And kosher salt? What’s meant by that? I have to try and find out if the peppers in adobo are sold in the Netherlands.

We had to visit a ‘horsestuff’ shop last saturday and next to that was a ‘kitchenstudio’ which we decided to visit, because a) we don’t get out much, b) we like to know what’s going on in living/designworld, not that we live by ‘the rules’ anymore, and c) to give a shimmer of hope to the often very irritating sales people and then crush that by telling them that we have a good kitchen and don’t need a new one. I know. Not nice.
    However, one of the sales guys demonstrated a very sophisticated combi-steam oven. WOW! I mean: WOW! We haven’t bought it, but we were tempted. Even measured if it fits in our kitchen (and it does). We’ll wait a while before entering a kitchenshop again. Requires far too much self-control.

I’m always up for a new salmon recipe. We eat so much salmon that I’m surprised we have not sprouted gills! It sounds wonderful, especially with a little heat as well as that sauce. The rice would be a big hit with my youngest as she adores all things pineapple. YUM! Oh, one more thing, you are going to get me in trouble, big trouble, if I get hooked on cooking magazines. Big trouble, missy!

Thanks Pam. We always try to eat fish (salmon and tilapia mainly) a couple of times a week… AND–we are always looking for new recipes. This one sounds GREAT. Thanks!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

I don’t think I’ve ever tried chipotles with fish, because I’m afraid the smoky heat will overwhelm the fish flavor. So I’m really intrigued with this recipe. It looks divine and I love all of the components, so I’ve got to give it a try.

What an “out of this world” recipe! We love salmon and the pineapple rice really caught my eye. This would be delicious with shrimp as well.

Terrific photos as well.

Nice lookin’ salmon!

No I’ve never pulled off a 30 minute meal in 30 minutes either. What do you call salmon cooked in 30 minutes? Salman Rushdie!!!! (boo if you like)

We have been admiring this recipe…my husband tells me that we have enough salmon for dinner…I know how we will be preparing it. This sounds and looks delicious.

Pam, This recipe was a huge hit at our house! Everybody loved it. Just wanted you to know that I posted it at the Saturday Blog Showcase. A popular recipe! Thank you!