Spanish Salad

The other day, I was having something light for dinner, a frittata to be exact.  You know how in the books they always say, “just serve with a salad and you have a light lunch or dinner”?  Well, I love that.  It sounds so European to me, even though I have no idea if the Europeans have light lunches and dinners served with salads or not.  Mainly because I rarely stray from Soddy Daisy TN, where light lunches and dinners are definitely not the rule.

So anyway, I was having a frittata and Cuisine at Home suggested that I serve it with a Spanish Salad with Sherry Vinaigrette.  Since I practically always do what I’m told (unless it’s my husband telling me to do something, that I usually manage to forget).  Now, I don’t know what makes this particularly Spanish.  It seems like an unusual combination doesn’t it?  Green olives, oranges, tomatoes, almonds?????  But it works.  It makes a mighty tasty salad, one that is a little more substantial than your usual salad.

Spanish Salad with Sherry Vinaigrette

makes 4 servings (8 cups)

• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon minced shallot
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 8 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
  • 4 oranges, cut into segments
  • 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
  • 1/4 cup halved green olives
  • kosher salt and black pepper to taste

Whisk together the oil, vinegar, shallot and Dijon in a small bowl (or do like I do and put in in a jar and shake).

Toss together the salad ingredients and toss with the dressing.

Comments

I have posted about a spinach salad with oranges, almonds and a dressing similar to this. I like the idea of adding tomatoes! And since you once said you don’t fly, it’s hard to imagine you going to Europe. So I guess we’ll both have to wonder whether this is truly “European style” dining.

LOL – I always do what I’m told too, except for when it comes to my husband. The salad looks great.

You asked me about the FN mag. I like the design of it (a lot like Rachel Ray’s mag). It’s filled with a lot of articles and has a good amount of recipes. For example, this issue had a story about how the Neely’s designed their kitchen, a behind the scenes of Sandra Lee’s new show, Food News, articles of fun or new cooking tools. There are always quick weeknight recipes and usually a feature article on a host (this month’s was Ina, featuring 3 of her recipes). I always love the copy that page where I have found the recipe for auntie anne’s soft pretzels, olive garden’s salad and breadsticks, frozen yogurt, bloomin onion, and my new favorite broccoli cheese soup. I get a lot of foodie mags and it’s my favorite. If I was only going to subscribe to one, the FN would be the one. If you like reading the articles like I mentioned above you would probably like it. Have a good one!

That picture is so crisp and lovely that I actually tried to grab a bite off the computer. It looks delicious and I might have to have it for reals. Thanks Pam!
    Kasha

I wondered also why it was spanish:) Spanish olives :)

It looks fresh and delish..I’ve made a salad w/ clementines and almonds forever..have you made that one? W/ Tarragon? I must admit it’s been a while..

i was just gonna ask, what the heck makes this spanish? i’m not sure either, but i do know i was inspired to say “ole!” when i saw your picture. :)

Your picture looks good enough to bite into! I love to add oranges and nuts to my salads in the winter but I never thought of sherry vinaigrette. Great idea! I’ll will give this a try.
    Love your other blog, Sidewalk Shoes 365. I am enjoying the pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    Pam

I have a feeling Europeans “serve with a light salad” for dinner, but probably not lunch. Since lunch is supposed to be the hearty meal of the day.

This salad looks fantastic! I love the sour/tangy olives with the sweet orange.

LOL, this European serves things with a salad for a light lunch or dinner! We love to do that, especially in the summer when there are all sorts of veggies around to make the salad interesting…

I’m thinking that what makes this Spanish is a combination of things that are typically Spanish: oranges, almonds, olives, and the sherry vinaigrette. that’s just my guess…

Thanks for posting this, Pam.

This salad looks lovely and I love the combination of flavors! I am searching the pile for this magazine!

I will definitely make this salad…