Spanish-Style Shrimp

Spanish-Style Shrimp

The other day, I had some fancy schmancy shrimp recipe planned.  Only I had forgotten to get some key ingredient at the grocery store.  Since it was a weeknight and my brain had been all used up at school that day, I didn’t have anything left to try and become creative with a substitution.   And then I remembered a really simple saute of shrimp from:

The Minimalist Cooks Dinner

There are a couple of riffs on the recipe in the book, including a Scampi style and an Asian style.  But I had just bought a cute tin of smoked paprika on the sole basis that I love all religious art, so the Spanish-style was it.  This was quite tasty, completely easy, perfect for a weeknight!

Smoky Paprika!

Spanish-Style Shrimp

Serves 4

• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 or 4 big cloves of garlic, cut into slivers
  • 1 t. ground cumin
  • 1 t. paprika
  • 2 pounds unshelled shrimp
  • salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

In a 10-12 inch skillet, combine the oil and the garlic.  Turn the heat to medium and cook until the garlic begins to sizzle.  Add the cumin and the paprika.  Stir, and turn the heat to medium-high, and the shrimp and season with salt and pepper.

Cooking stirring occasionally until the shrimp are all pink, but no longer because you don’t want to evaporate their juice.  Turn off the heat, add the parsley and serve.

Comments

Pam, sometimes our mistakes are our rewards. This dish sounds & looks delicious!

The packaging of a product is just as important as the ingredients; sometimes more so. That is a nice image on the tin and its contents added a great touch to your recipe. Many thanks, I’ll have to give this a try…

You just can’t do much better than a nice, simple, shrimp saute. I could eat it ever day!
    And I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who has been known to buy bottles or tins, solely for the pretty picture on it. :)

This sounds just perfect to me. I think shrimp lends itself to simple preparations like this, it’s so naturally flavorful it doesn’t take much more added to make it into a WOW. Great photo if the shrimp, really looks tasty.

Buying a spice for the tin…oh, I DO like you!

How are you liking Remarkable Creatures? I heard the author on NPR recently and thought it sounded intriguing.

I love buy things just for their packaging, or for their exotic contents, with no real recipe in mind. Something always come up.
    Lovely, simple recipe.
    Mimi

Sounds good to me!
    And I adore the fact that you bought your paprika for the religious art on the tin!
    It wouldn’t be a first for me to do the same thing! Is that lame or what? Sometimes I’m lucky enough to pick up a really good product too. Perhaps good art on packaging might be a plan for increasing sales.

This is delicious-syle shrimp. Cumin becomes a nice & warm spice when it hits some heat. The yin-yang with sweet shrimp, I dig.

What a creative alternative-This looks delightful. I have no doubt that the paprika provided an interesting flavor.

Love the art work on the front of the paprika tin. I can see why you wanted to purchase it.

Hi Pam, Do you think you’ll get a snow day from school tomorrow???? I hope we get some snow–but I just do NOT want ICE…. We shall wait and see what happens.

Your Spanish Shrimp dish sounds good….
    Hugs,
    Betsy

“…and my brain had been all used up at school that day”

lol! Oh you little darling, you! Crack me up why don’t you??! *grin*

Me too, I’m a fool for beautiful tins. Best of all this recipe looks terrific. Gotta go look into that book. Thanks for sharing!