Caramelized Pineapple

Go look out your window.  Go ahead.  I’ll wait…..Well, what do you see.  If you’re like me, you see dreary gray skies, bare trees and frost bit grass.  If you’re like Dave from My Year on the Grill, you probably see palm trees and blue water and sea shells and sun and all things good.  And as if all that wasn’t enough the girls at Our Krazy Kitchen decided to throw him a beach party!

Really.  Could one person get any move love!

So, I grumbled and mumbled into my winter scarf and carried the pineapple out to my car in my gloved hands, with visions of beach parties dancing through my head.  And now, I have to say thanks to Dave, because without this party, I probably would not have this lovely little tidbit of sunshine.  This yummy, sweet, islandy, pineapple.   You can find the recipe online:  Caramelized Pineapple, and I’ve posted it below.

Caramelized Pineapple

• 1 pineapple
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar

Core and peel pineapple. Slice it lengthwise into eighths.

Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Coat pineapple wedges with sugar; place in hot pan. Cook, turning once and shaking pan often, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove pineapple.

Stir 3 tablespoons water into pan, and heat briefly; drizzle over pineapple.

Happy Surprise Beach Party Dave and Jackie!!!

• Sharing is fun!Share on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

Comments

I am so making this today. We have had pretty major flooding, almost hurricane wind gusts, widespread power outages, heavy rains for two days, snow, sleet, clouds, sunshine, ice..I am not even exaggerating! Really. I am sending Mr. Hip out to the grill to make this tonight! And, I’m having drinks with it.

Pam, having a serving of your Caramelized Pineapple and tuning up my 45 record of Don Ho singing “Tiny Bubbles” will definitely chase away the dreary days of winter.

Many thanks for the idea…

I’m a blogger friend of Dave’s too! Like the pineapple recipe…. similar to my pineapple syrup GMTHA (Great Minds Think Alike)… like your blog.. glad I found you… will add you to my blog list…

Happy to have met you!

Linda from Cooking Tip of the Day

Ive never tried caramelized pineapples but I know its good..it s one of those food that u just know its good just with your ears. n eyes…i have a pineapple sittingon the kitchen table..may be i shd caramelize it instead :) thanx

I think fresh pineapples were on sale at our supermarket…if so…we are going to try this!

Seriously, when you retire from teaching, you could be a photographer for a Food magazine!

Enjoy Sunday ~Natalie

what a sweet treat. if one can’t look outside and see a pleasant environment, one must create her own. this’d add to the picture quite nicely. :)

Another thing I like to do with pineapple — yes, in the winter — is to toss it with a bit of ancho chili powder or smoked paprika and canola oil, and cook it outside on the grill. It’s especially satisfying to do this when it’s snowing outside!

I really like pineapple cooked this way. I was going to add that a pinch of red chili pepper adds a nice touch but Lydia beat me to it. :) And cooking it on the grill is delicious any time of year…

Pam, thank you so much for being a part of this! I loved looking in at all these suggestions, and am certainly going to be making this! Love Pineapple, and we can get that here pretty easily

Nothing says tropics like pineapple. This is a great recipe; simple and delicious. Thanks for coming to the party.
      Kristen – Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker