Garden Tuesday – Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Share on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on RedditEmail this to someone

Red Bellied Woodpecker

I just want to know…who was in charge of naming this guy?

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

We thought we heard a hawk.  Notice the finch deciding it was time to go!

Comments

They are noisy. He probably wants to make sure all the females know he’s around. Again, no Red-bellieds in Denver. And speaking of naming that bird, not much of a red belly is there???

Pam, these are great! I don’t know why, but the second photo reminds me of the “e-baby commercial”… as if ‘woody’ was crowing.

I think I need another cup of ‘joe’ and maybe then I’d see something totally different.

I know what you mean about the name. I have one I call “big boy”, he looks bigger than this one you photographed. But it is hard to tell, not knowing what size the feeder is. I have a pair that have been living here for years. It is my favorite bird, besides the Pilated Woodpecker.
    Nice photo. Where did you get that feeder?

Um, that doesn’t look like my Red Bellied Woodpecker. Maybe yours is a male. Or maybe they are distant cousins in different parts of the country.
    Yours is much more striking. Then again, maybe mine is not a RBW! Ha!

I hear our woodpeckers, but never see them. But it is sad when namers lose track of which part of the anatomy is which. Gives new meaning to the expression, “He doesn’t know his @** from a hole in the ground!”

That second picture tickled me. He’s not going to interrupt his eating unless it’s a matter of life or death, is he?!

I’m with Kat. . . I like that feeder. Are squirrels a problem on it?

Pam, I spend a weekend at an audubon center with a lab filled with preserved birds. Unfortunately, some birds are named by features that are more easily identified by holding the dead animal in your hand. Not really good birding practice:)

Trackbacks