Garlic Lime Rice

Garlic Lime Rice

I’m big on declaring years and summers and seasons.  There was the Summer of Pickles, not to be confused with The Summer of Preserving, Putting up and Pickling.  And then there was The Summer of My Herbs, which was really supposed to be The Summer of My Garage, but thankfully I came to my senses.  But lurking somewhere in my mind, I had a vague recollection of a declaration on side dishes…oh wait, here it is, The Spring of Side Dishes.

Don’t bother searching my blog for other posts having to do with The Spring of Side Dishes.  I’m big on declaring things, I’m not big on following up on them.  But be that as it may, that does not underscore the importance of a good side dish.  I am again, starting to think about side dishes and getting a few good ones into the rotation.  My favorite place to find side dish ideas is Cuisine at Home’s Weeknight Menus.  Because each menu has a side dish.  There are vegetable, pasta, rice and salad side dishes.  So, when I was needing to fancy up some rice, that is where I turned.

As usual, they didn’t disappoint.  This garlic lime rice is easy (I did it in my rice cooker) and wonderfully flavorful.  The combination of lime, garlic, and cilantro can go with just about anything!

Garlic Lime Rice

• 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 cup dry long grain white rice
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 T. fresh lime juice
  • 1 t. Kosher salt
  • 2 T. minced fresh cilantro
  • 2 t. lime zest, minced

Saute the garlic in oil over medium-high heat in a saucepan, until golden. Stir in rice and saute 2 minutes.

Add water, lime juice and salt and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.  Stir in cilantro and lime zest.

Comments

OH! Yummy, yummy, yummy! I am always severely lacking in side dishes, so I am all for you declaring it the Spring of Side Dishes. Hell, I’m all for you declaring it “Spring”! I’m ready! Bring on the side dishes!

Yum. I love flavored rice. I make a similar recipe, but also add coconut milk. It’s s standard I use as a side when making most Asian dishes.

Pam, what a wonderful side dish. It would be great with so many grilled entrées, due to its lightness and full flavor.

I can’t wait for Spring. They are forecasting snow for Georgia today ~ up to 3 to 4 inches; with heavy icing. That is as welcomed, as when General Sherman came marching through.

I’m guessing that if you do it in your rice cooker, you just put in the garlic? you don’t heat it up in a pan first? I personally love all things that can be cooked in my rice steamer, or a crockpot.. such are my best meals made and done before I enter the door from work!

It’s always much more fun to declare seasons of something than to continue them. Myself, I try to not declare more than a week, so I have at least a minimal chance of success…dream on! This looks like a wonderful side for chicken, and if this is the beginning of Spring of side dishes, then I’m going off to plan my garden! See ya!

I’m big on declaring things too, but if they are food related then they usually don’t happen! Love this rice recipe.

You made me laugh with your “declarations.” For me there was the “summer I’m going to learn to rollerblade” which lasted from the garage to the road, and then there was the “year I’m going to bake wedding cakes” which lasted through one wedding cake and a one year old baby in a mobile home. So I completely understand how your “Spring of Side Dishes” might be off to a slow start, but I give you credit for any project you attempt girl!

And the rice looks fantastic, by the way!

I am definitely stealing this and applying Amy’s suggestion too. I call it the “Spring of Stealing Other People’s Recipes”!

I like the timbale presentation of the rice!

Yum! The Old Guy gave me a rice cooker for Christmas, but I haven’t even taken it out of the box yet, so I think it’s about time, don’t you? This looks delicious, and I’m going to try it tonight! I’ve got heaps of cilantro growing, and I even have fresh limes on my tree right now!!

The kids and I are declaring this the “Summer of Salsa”! We have set out the gardens with 5 types of tomatoes, two types of peppers, two types of onions and a HUGE herb garden. We will be sure to keep you updated on the progress and the bottles of finished product!

I’m big on declaring things, I’m not big on following up on them.

ha.

i don’t eat a lot of rice, but when i do, i like lime to be involved. great presentation, pam. :)

Ha! Thats how I felt when I made the declaration about the 12 weeks of winter squash. It was meant to be a joke. At first. And then everyone commented and was like oh how cool! So then I actually had to do it. Sigh. The things we do for the blog…

I love side dishes as well! This looks incredibly delicious. Cilantro has to be my favorite herb. Ever.