Vintner’s Rice

Vintner's Rice

Sometimes I can make rice look good and sometimes it just looks like rice.  This just looks like rice.  But don’t let it’s simple rice-i-ness fool you, it was really good.  This isn’t a huge, wow recipe.  It’s flavor is subtle, it sneaks up on you, taps you on the shoulder, and says “aren’t I good?”  And you nod, and say, “why yes, you are.”

This lovely, simple rice came from my favorite rice cooker cookbook:

The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook : 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker

Are you thinking, “do I really need a rice cooker cookbook?”  I mean it’s rice.  How hard can that be.  It’s not hard, true, but coming up with ideas after using every last one of your brain cells trying to get 8th graders to understand algebra, can be a bit difficult.  I also have to say that it is one of my most used cookbooks, of course, that goes hand in hand with the fact that my rice cooker is one of my most used appliances.

So, without further ado, a lovely simple, goes with everything rice.

Vinter’s Rice

• 2 T. unsalted butter
  • 1 small white onion, coarsely grated (I just finely chopped mine)
  • dash of ground white pepper
  • 1 cup long-grain white rice
  • 3 thin lemon slices
  • 1/2 bay leaf (I just used a small one)
  • 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 t. salt

Set the rice cooker for the quick cook or regular cycle.  Place the butter in the bowl of the rice cooker.  When it has melted, add the onion, and cook until softened about 2 minutes.  Sprinkle with the pepper and add the rice.  Stir until the grains are evenly coated and hot, about 10 minutes.  Place the lemon slices and bay leaf on top of the rice.  Add the stock, wine and salt and stir lightly to combine.  Close the cover and reset for the regular cycle (if you were on the quick cycle) or just let the regular cycle finish.

When the machine switches to keep warm, let the rice steam for about 10 minutes.  Then fluff and serve!

Serves 3-4

Comments

I’m starting to think that I need to buy a rice cooker. I hear that a lot of people just love them and this rice certainly looks excellent.

I prepare rice often and I really like the subtle flavors in this recipe. Lemon, white wine and onion are sometimes all the flavoring a good rice needs.

Two questions. I’m just starting to cook with wine so does it have to be a dry, or would a regular white wine work? I’m sure I should know this already. LOL The second question: I keep going back and forth over getting a rice cooker. I’ve read a few reviews, etc., but wondered what your opinion is about them. Is it better than the stove top for some reason? We eat a lot of rice so I’m definitely trying this!

Rice can do so many things, but when used with light colored ingredients, it really does look like “just rice”. I made something similar a while back to go with a lemon chicken recipe, and was delighted with it!

We don’t have rice very often, unless it’s with a stirfry. Mostly, I think, because it just tastes like rice.
    But this really sounds good, especially the lemon in there!

you and your rices. this one happens to look fluffy and delightful. incidentally, the only other time i use the adjective ‘fluffy’ is to describe my hair. :)

I love rice too and yes I eat it cold, straight out of the frig too!

I just got a rice cooker for Christmas and I’m going to look for that cookbook!

Hi Pam, I think even I would like that rice. I’ve told you I’m sure that I am not crazy about rice–but hubby loves it. He can make some good rice.. I’ll give him this recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

I might just have to get me this cookbook! I still want to try the last recipe you posted…and now this one. I have never thought about putting wine in rice. Love it.

The wine must be very subtle and with the lemon would give it a fresh bright flavor. I don’t have a rice cooker, but imagine I could do this without one.
    It sounds lovely…your photo is smashing. Who would have thought rice could look so good?

Cooking the onion on the quick cycle is a revelation! I have a great slow cooker book but always thought that having to cook the onions and garlic first in a separate pot on the stove kind of defeated the purpose from a convenience angle.. that’s a great tip.

Yeah, like Kim, I’m going to need a cooker. I’ve got a steamer but not sure how to translate this recipe to that. I might give it a shot anyway and if I screw it up, it’s no big deal, it’s not like a ruined a beef tenderloin.

Pam, the rice looks yummy and the photo of the rice is even yummier. Having said that… I just can’t bring myself to use my rice cooker to cook ANYTHING other than just plain white rice. Being brought up in a japanese household and all that… but I may have to try this on the stove top! It’s THAT yummy looking!

Magificent and enourmous and massive FAIL on the duck!! ARRRGH! I love duck and I wanted to have it work. I even bought TWO ducks to have a spare and they both turned out too greasy and just not very tasty. I need to practice my duck cooking skills. Darn it!

Sounds like utter comfort. I love rice with a passion; can’t go wrong with a version that calls for butter and white wine!

I still have part of a mediocre bottle of wine left over from my risotto and this is the perfect way to use it up! I love my rice cooker as well…it’s right up there with the crockpot for best appliance ever.