Bertolli – Oven Baked Four Cheese Rigatoni Rosa

What a week this has been, first I get sent a book to review and now as part of the Tastemaker program at Foodbuzz, I get some pasta sauces to try.  Books and pasta…life is good.

Bertolli Four Cheese Rosa

Now, some of you might be thinking….but, Pam, you are all about cooking from scratch and avoiding processed foods.  Yes.  I do.  One exception I do make is pasta sauce.  I always have a jar or two in my pantry, because sometimes I just don’t have time or the inclination to make my own.

When I opened up the gorgeous box from Bertolli, inside I found a jar of their Four Cheese Rosa Sauce and their Arrabbiata Sauce.  Easy choice.  Put cheese in the name and I am all over it.  They even supplied a few recipes to chose from to use the sauces…Pink Shrimp with Bacon and Onions, Fontina and Bacon-Stuffed Chicken Breasts, and Oven-Baked Four Cheese Rigatoni Rosa, just to name a few.   I, of course, chose the one with cheese in the name.

Okay, where do I begin…this was fantastic.  Seriously restaurant quality good.  And unbelievably easy.  And I learned a new technique that I am going to apply to other baked pasta dishes…. the idea of tossing the pasta with the sauce and then just mixing in your ricotta mixture.  I always either layer the ricotta mixture (like a lasagna) or stuff it in a shell, I didn’t realize you could just mix it all up and end up with something so fabulous.  So, even though this is made with a jarred sauce and it’s sort of cheating, it gets the coveted Top Recipe label!

Oven-Baked Four Cheese Rigatoni Rosa

• 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves (I used some of my pureed from the freezer)
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 t. ground black pepper
  • 8 ounces rigatoni (or other large tube pasta) cooked and drained
  • 1 jar Bertolli Four Cheese Rosa Sauce
  • 2 T. Italian Seasoned dry bread crumbs (I just used fresh)
  • 2 T. grated Parmesan Cheese

Preheat the oven to 350.  Combine ricotta cheese, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, basil, egg and black pepper; set aside.  Toss hot rigatoni with Sauce in large bowl.  Stir in the ricotta mixture.  Turn into 11 x 7 inch baking dish, the sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, bread crumbs, and Parmesan cheese.  Bake covered 25 minutes.  Remove cover and bake and additional 5 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden brown and cheese is melted.  Serves 4.

This will be my entry for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Aqua from Served with Love .

Comments

I don’t think it’s cheating at all. I love jarred pasta sauce and this one looks creamy and cheesy. Great tip about the ricotta.

I must confess I’ve never tried Bertoli products. Your review certainly is changing my mind…would not have believed it would be that good.
    I’m with you. Looking at all the cheeses in the ingredient list is very tempting.

(I know how fond you are of teapots and my Belleck one was my grandmother’s. Unfortunately it only came with a cream and sugar and two cups and saucers–one leaks badly. Wish there had been some dessert plates too!)

Hi Pam, Sometimes we all just have to be practical… When I was working fulltime, I had no time to cook much from scratch…

Your Four Cheese Rigatoni Rosa sounds wonderful—even with the ‘canned’ sauce…. I’ll forgive you… I like to take the easy way out also.. Sometimes we just have to do what we have to do. Right?
    Hugs,
    Betsy

first of all, your opening picture is stunning. secondly, what a tasty dish you’ve made, jarred pasta sauce notwithstanding. bravo, pam!

I think I gained 2 pounds just reading the ingredients and looking at that photo. But I’m okay with that.

Yet another recipe of yours I printed out.

I would have gone with the one that said four cheese as well. How could anything with four cheese in it taste bad?

I’ve never tried the bertolli line but they’ve been getting rave reviews from everyone. I’ll have to try them!

Hi Pam! Ever since we went to Italy I’ve been a firm believer in making my own pasta’s and sauces. BUT, on those super busy days, I will actually use a boxed pasta or jarred sauce. And those two items are Bertolli items only! They have the best pasta and sauces. They come closest to what I had in Italy.

Of course, I don’t work outside the home so I can make the time to make my own pasta’s and sauces. But there are those days when I would rather have someone else make dinner and that is when Bertolli steps up. ;-)

OK. I’ll try it. I’ve never been satisfied with jarred pasta sauces other than Prego’s Traditional, but I’m willing to give this a try. But only because it has CHEESE in the recipe. Maybe I’ll toss some homemade meatballs in the mixture. Or some ground pork. I’m pretty sure my husband would prefer this with some sort of dead animal. ;)

Jarred isn’t cheating. I used jarred pesto in my pork recipe yesterday. The Bertoli products I have tried have been very good.

Great post and lucky you! I love Bertoli products and like you, although I love cooking from scratch there are days when opening a bottle is as much as I can cope with. On days like that…I’m grateful for the bottles in my pantry.

Thanks for sharing this with Presto Pasta Nights. And I think I’ll have to head over to their website for more recipes.

Well, Pam, I printed this recipe up awhile ago and I am making it today for the first time…for company!! I’m confident that it’ll be delicious. Yay…an easy company-worthy dish. Will serve it with a big tossed salad and some yummy bread.

Your Oven Baked Four Cheese Rigatoni Rosa looks amazing. Your photo’s are beautiful. Thank you for sharing and you have a Happy New Year!