Smack yourself on the forehead (ala…I could have had a V-8) and say, “Duh!” Why? Because we all know how good pasta puttanesca is, right? Well, why haven’t we thought of how good pizza puttanesca would be??? Why, indeed?
This was so good that I actually had it twice this week!!! I know..I know. I never make anything twice, but actually I had a menu emergency. What constitutes a menu emergency? My husband telling me on Tuesday that on Friday he is getting his cholesterol checked and he hopes I have something “light” planned for Thursday evening. So, I check. Hmmm…here is what I had written down…bacon, egg and cheese burrito with fried potatoes. Yep! I’d say that constitutes a menu emergency! Since I still had some of the Bertolli Arrabbiata Sauce leftover, I just went on ahead an made this pizza again. And it was just as good the second time I made it!
This wonderful pizza comes from the Bertolli Arrabbiata Sauce that I received as part of Foodbuzz’s Tastemaker Program. The recipe came on the cute box that they shipped the sauces in. Again, a great recipe to keep in the back of your mind, because with the 5 Minute Pizza Dough in your fridge and a jar of this sauce in your pantry, you are only limited by your imagination!
Pizza Puttanesca Arrabbiata
- 1 cup Bertolli Arrabbiata Sauce
- 1 12 –inch or 2 8-inch prepared pizza crusts (or your favorite dough rolled out)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or more because ..it’s cheese!)
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olive
- 1 T. small capers, rinsed, drained and finely chopped
- 2 anchovies, drained and chopped
- 1 T. finely chopped fresh basil (I omitted because I didn’t have any)
Preheat the oven to 500 (they say 450, but I always do 500). Evenly spread the sauce on the pizza crust, then top with the remaining ingredients, except basil. Bake 8 – 10 minutes. Sprinkle with basil. Eat and enjoy.