Farfalle with Bitter Greens and Sausage

Farfalle with bitter greens and sausage

Two events occurred on Wednesday within hours of each other.  One…I discovered a fabulous pasta recipe.  A recipe which  probably owed a lot of it’s fabulousness to the 1/3 cup of heavy whipping cream.  Second event – I loaded an app on my Ipod Touch to track calories and keep a log of my food.

That is soooo bad timing.  Right?  Really.  What was I thinking?

But let me say, I don’t care.  This pasta was wonderful.  Super wonderful.  I never knew that a sauce made only of cream and the juices left in the pan from sausage and greens could be so good.  I’m going to keep this technique in the back of my mind.  Though, with a nod to the new calorie app, I may try some half and half.

Subs – I didn’t have any mustard greens so I used spinach.  Oh, and where did this Top Recipe (yes it get’s my highest rated category) come from…The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh, but you probably already knew that, didn’t you!!

Farfalle with Bitter Greens and Sausage

• 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 hot Italian sausages, casings removed (I used 2 because that’s all I had)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 large bunch mustard greens, stemmed and cut crosswise into two inch pieces (about 4 cups)  (I used spinach)
  • 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 8 ounces farfalle
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano, plus extra for serving

Heat oil in heavy skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and saute until soft, about 8 minutes.  Add sausages and garlic, saute until the sausages are no longer pink, breaking them up with a wooden spoon.  Add greens and stir until just wilted, about 3 minutes.  Add cream and boil until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling, salted water per package directions.  Drain and add pasta to sauce, still in the Romano cheese.  Season with salt and pepper and serve with additional cheese.

Serves 2

This will be my entry for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Ruth, herself at Once Upon a Feast.

Comments

too funny… will be interesting when every restaurant will have to post calorie counts next to the menu item… have a feeling America will start slowing a trend.

The sausage pasta looks wonderful. needs a better name, “bitter” in a recipe title is rarely used, but it sure sounds wonderful

This looks so delicious, Pam. Fresh greens are starting to appear in the markets around here and would be perfect in this pasta dish.

This looks so delicious. Another recipe bookmarked. I’m so excited, I just bought some pasta plates very similar to the one in your photos. I’ve been looking for them for months. Now I just need to make some pasta!

I was thinking of you yesterday when I was looking at a flyer for a local CSA. Your pasta looks awesome and I’d prefer to think of the calories involved as ” trifecta energy providers”. You know, to fuel the body, mind, and soul. :-) Love the bow tie pasta — looks so festive!

That does sound like bad timing on the calorie tracker. Funny how that works out like that.

Great sounding pasta dish, I like your substitution of spinach.

I love greens of any kind… mustard, kale, chard, spinach…
    I’m going to try growing some next year, because none of them are popular here for some reason.
    And heavy cream? Feh! I don’t see anything wrong with using it, just as long as it’s a ‘sometimes’ thing. If I made this regularly (which I’ll probably do because it’s so simple!!) I would use a lower fat alternative – but for “once in a while”? Nothing beats the flavor and texture of full cream, IMO!

Pasta with spinach is good. Sausage is better. Cream is kinda like the icing on the cake! Fooey on the calories! Delete that app!

mini rant: calorie trackers are dangerous and depressing and i have no use for them. :)
    this dish rocks, pam, from the sauce to the sausage. delightful!

I think it’s about time that I check out this Bon Appetit cookbook. You are always posting such wonderful meals.

You can never go wrong with a pan cream sauce but I know what you mean about those pesky calories.

This looks fabulous and what great photos!

As soon as I saw the title, I “knew” where this was from. And not because I own the book but because that book has a type. That type being delicious.

Hey Pam, I made this last night for a side dish to go with turkey cutlets. I didn’t use the sausage but used the same pan I cooked the meat in to make the sauce. Wanted that extra flavor from the meat bits. I added some red pepper flakes for the heat. It was wonderful. The hubs gave it a thumbs up. Thanks for another great recipe. Blessings, SusanD

This looks so good. I would love for you to join me for Crock Pot Wednesday whenever you can. There’s a giveaway going on this month. Your Lenten roses are really pretty. Our local botanical garden had some gorgeous ones the last time I visited.

Planes, trains, and autos for me and we relocate. I am seriously on my 5th turkey sandwich and I really want some of this pasta. Waaaa.

This dish looks exceptional. I would make this in a flash. I didn’t know about this blog. (now you’re doomed to read my comments nonstop).

Yet another reason why I don’t want an iPhone/iTouch/Smart phone! ;)

Yum! This looks delicious. And much healthier than my Pasta with Sausage and Cream Sauce. OK, not mine, exactly. But one of my favorites. 2 cups of heavy cream and 1/4 cup of butter = 18 hours at the gym!

Mmmm, this sounds delicious.

We love pasta tossed in rapini and sausage (but we don’t add cream – sounds like a good idea though).

I love the original recipe’s idea to use mustard greens!

-Elizabeth

P.S. We’ve often used a bechamel (made with 2% milk) in place of heavy cream and it works very well.