Foodie Friday – Asian Seared Tuna Pepper Steaks

TGIF.  Seriously.  I have never been so ready for a Friday in my life.  It’s sad isn’t it, that we spend most of our lives counting down the days to another day.  I am so guilty of this.  I am big time counter downer.  3 days till that, 4 days till this, 20 days till spring break.  I really need to learn to just stop and live in the moment.  I’ll put that on my list, next to cleaning the garage (which I plan to do this summer, and note…I am not counting down the days till that!).

What better dish for a Friday during Lent then fish.  And what better fish, than tuna from the amazingly wonderful Moon and Olivia!  And even more better, super easy and tasty.  Unlike some 30 minute meals, this one really can be on your table in under 30.  It’s not earth shattering by any means, but still quite tasty.   And yes, I know it would have been much more attractive if I had thinly sliced the tuna showing off it’s cooked-to-perfection goodness, but I didn’t realize that till I was eating it.  And by then.  I was eating it.

I found this easy peasy gem from my easy peasy gem cookbook:

The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh

Asian Seared Tuna Pepper Steaks

• 4 6- to 7-ounce ahi tuna steaks (each about 1 inch thick)
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely cracked black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons oriental sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup dry Sherry
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or green onion tops

Sprinkle tuna steaks on both sides with salt, then sprinkle with coarsely cracked black pepper, pressing gently to adhere. Heat sesame oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add tuna steaks and sear until brown outside and just opaque in center, about 3 minutes per side. Using tongs, transfer tuna steaks to platter. Tent platter loosely with foil to keep tuna steaks warm. Add soy sauce, then Sherry to same skillet. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture is slightly reduced, scraping up any browned bits, about 1 minute. Spoon sauce over tuna steaks. Sprinkle with chives or green onion tops.

You can also find it online at Epicurious

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.

Comments

I’m laughing at your comment about taking photos. Can’t tell you how often we have dug in and I remember…I didn’t take a picture, I yell! Forks stop on the way to mouths and eyes all look up.
    Our families do suffer, don’t they?

Tuna is one of our favorites and I could see why this easy recipe could be added to my list of easy ones. I’ve used the dark sesame oil for seasoning, but I’ve never seared tuna in it. How interesting. I know it gave it incredible flavor along with the soy sauce. I’m book-marking this.
    Sam

It does look fresh..By the way..I’m a big day counter too..the only difference is the older I get..the more I think about the days I am counting away..are lost and makes my time seem shorter..
    So it does get a bit better ..you’ll see in 30 yrs:)

I’m a counter downer, too. And a list maker. I should add, that I also love post-it notes.

Tuna is one of my favorite fish, but I haven’t made it in a long time. I think your picture is great…I can use my imagination as to the inside.

Pam, I love tuna steaks! And this looks easy enough that even the cooking-challenged (namely, me) can fix it! Thanks for the tip!

And I hear you about counting down the days. Only I need more days this week. I’ve got company coming, and I don’t feel there are enough days to get done what I need to do. I usually take a “Mary” approach to life instead of “Martha”. Hence, when I get up against a deadline, the need emerges to become Martha! LOL!

Top of the mornin’ and may your Friday be filled with blessings. Speaking of which, Happy Foodie Friday to you!

XO,

Sheila :-)

If I don’t take a picture of my own plate before it leaves the stove, there is no picture. Just saying. This looks like a great Lenten meal.

Great flavors with the Ahi.
    I have my family pretty well trained on not eating baked goods before a snap a photo, but I haven’t quite convinced them to hold dinner until I get the camera.
    Mimi

Looks purtee! And try counting down smaller things instead of days. Like right now I’m counting down 5 minutes until my next cup of coffee!

A good recipe to get us all back in swimsuits! :) I think your tuna looks great. I, on the other hand, could find NO way to make my casserole pretty for FF :)

Hi Pam, Glad today is Friday —just for you working people!!!! I remember how much I used to love my days-off…

The tuna steaks sound incredible… Thanks for that recipe… I love chives!!!

Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

i can’t help but associate tuna with the fetid stuff that comes in a can, but this looks completely appetizing! sounds like a pretty tasty preparation of it, too. tgif indeed. :)

I hate fish but seared tuna is one of the few fish dishes that I can not only stomach, but actually really like! Nice looking tuna.

Hi Pam, this sounds wonderful and simple too. I love the way I feel after I eat tuna too-seems to help my mood the next day!?!

The tuna looks like meat …mmmmm so delicious!

My days just slip by like eel….i wish it would slow down so I can enjoy it at least .n remember what I did yesterday or even what day it is today.

I love tuna steaks. Somehow I have not found my way to this recipe in Fast/Easy/Fresh yet (we need to come up with some kind of cool nickname for this book…the name is way too long). But I’ll get there. Looks delicious.

LOL, I thought this was steak when I first looked at the photo! I laughed out loud at your remembering after you were eating it. I do that too. I always think I’ll remember for the next time, but I never do…

But then this looks like it was too hard to wait for!