A & W Copycat Chili Dog Recipe

A & W Chili dog

Sometimes after eating healthy with lots of veggies and legumes and boneless chicken breasts, I crave something not.  Not filled with veggies.  Not light.  Not lowfat.  Some good old-fashioned fun eating.  What’s more fun that a chili dog?  Nothing except maybe an A & W Chili Dog!

A & W Chili Dog

I’m going to begin by saying these were good.  But then I have to confess that I can’t really say that.  Why?  Because it wasn’t until I was putting my spice jars up that I realized that I used cinnamon instead of cumin!!!  I know.  They don’t look alike or smell alike, their only similarity being their proximity on my spice shelf.  So, these were kind of a cinnamony chili dog.  But even with my blunder, they were good, so imagine if you made them the way they are supposed to be made.

Oh and as a nod to my healthy eating, I served them on whole wheat buns with baked sweet potato fries.  Not much of a wild and crazy rebel, am I?

A & W Copycat Chili Dogs

• Ground chuck – 1lb
    Tomato paste – 1 can (6oz)
    Sugar – 1 tbsp
    Yellow mustard – 1 tbsp
    Dried, minced onion – 1 tbsp
    Chili powder – 2 tsp
    Worcestershire sauce – 1 tsp
    Salt – 1 tsp
    Celery seed – 1/2 tsp
    Ground cumin – 1/2 tsp
    Black pepper – 1/4 tsp
    Water – 1 cup
  • Hot dogs and buns of your choice
  • Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • Cook the ground chuck in a pan and break into small pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the remaining ingredients.
  • Simmer for about 30 minutes until thickens.
  • Boil some water in a pot, and add in however many frankfurters you want. Boil for about 8 to 10 minutes.
  • Place the frankfurter in a hot dog bun and spread on 3 tablespoons of the sauce you just made. Spread the cheddar cheese on top, and you’re done!

• Share on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

Comments

I just finished doing the 30 Day Shred as my workout today and as I sit here cooling off I open this up in my reader and see that gorgeous chili (cinnamon) dog staring at me. Lawd help me.. It’s warmed up here and I see hot doggies on the grill, soon!

I’m in the mood for hot-dogs too…and now that we can get to our grill, that just may happen.

I was hoping to also read about how you made your sweet potato fries.

Have a thoughtful Thursday ~Natalie

They look delicious! I have done that also, mixed up the spices. Oh, well… This is a great suggestion for a meal today! Yum!

Yum! I think everybody wants to see summer come a little sooner this year:) I know I do!! I’m going to tell my friend Michelle about these, she loves dressed up dogs;)
      The Peppered Pantry~

I’m holding my head down in shame, Pam. I’ve never had an A&W chili dog!!! So you could have fooled me with cinnamon, I’d never have known it was supposed to be cumin!
      I sure had their floats. A lot.

I think you should dedicate the cinnamon chili dog to grace as she love cinnamon and just posted a savory cinnamon dish of her own.
      It really does look delicious.
      Mimi

this is the type of thing i crave on a regular basis, and your pictures capture the beauty quite nicely. now, this may come as a surprise to you, but i fully intend to use cinnamon instead of cumin the next time i make chili. :)

Sounds delicious Pam—but not with Cinnamon… ha ha…. That mistake is easy to make!!!!!

I crave a good hot dog myself also at times…. We can’t eat healthy ALL of the time!!!!! ha

Hugs,
      Betsy

I use a A & W Chili clone for my Carolina burger and the ingredients are close. I might have to try yours because mine isn’t just “it” yet.

PS: The whole reason for exercising and eating well is so we can splurge like this! :)

That is so funny about the cinnamon mix up. I have almost done a spice mix up a time or two myself. They still look amazing! ;D

I had one of those little glass mugs for the longest time. What ever happened to that anyway???

We used to call our local A&W, the “A”. They only served Rootbeer and Hotdogs with limited condiments too. No chili dogs, no FFs and no chips but everyone hung out at the “A” and loved it!

I made chili dogs last week for a movie theme party for work. It’s been years since I’ve had a chili dog and I ate one quicker than those hot dog eating contest guys eat one. It’s also been years since I’ve had an A&W Chili dog. Damn those things are good. Thanks for this recipe.