What Was it Wednesday?

Figs

You’re looking at August 19, 2008.  And for the record, I know what it was.  Figs, obviously.  Gorgeous, luscious fresh figs.  Figs given to me by my very, very favorite Physical Science teacher, Mrs. G.  who used to be Miss P.  This sparked a huge debate with hubs and me.  I desperately want a fig tree.  We have no place for one, except the front yard.  He says we can’t have a fruit tree in the front yard!  I think he’s crazy.  What do you think??  And could I please have some men chime in on this, cause if it’s only the ladies he’ll think your just siding with me in the spirit of womanhood.

Comments

I was just listening to a gardening show last week and they were discussing putting a tasteful vegetable bed in your FRONT yard. So if it’s okay to do that, it’s really okay to plant to a fig tree.

Figs are so hard to find here in the midwest, especially in the off season. I tried to find them for a recipe I wanted to make at Christmas. No luck!

I wonder why he thinks you can’t have a fruit tree in the front yard? I’m all for it, although I hope you don’t have any “foodie” neighbors. They might try to steal your figs!

I went looking in books for the rules that say fruit trees can only go in the back yard. I didn’t find those rules. I will continue on the hunt for the rules on appropriate front yard trees, but if it’s a pretty tree, I don’t know why it wouldn’t work. For the record, I have one crabapple and one mulberry tree in my front yard, and numerous other fruit trees in my back yard.

Love figs..the photo AND fruit trees anywhere..sadly my fig tree has bitten the bullet:( I even winterized it in the garage..
    It could only be snowmen arms now:(

You can get a dwarf fig tree and put it in a big pot. That is what we did, and although you won’t get enough figs to feed the neighbors, you will indeed get figs.

The only fruit tree I’ve ever had in my front yard was a fig tree and there’s nothing like coming home from a long day of anything, plucking a fig off the tree on the way in the front door, and relaxing a bit with a spoon and a sticky treat. I say go for it!

7. CD says

Coming from someone who as two large fig trees in their backyard, I would say…ugh. They are very messy trees. Someone mentioned spring blooms on fruit trees, not the fig tree. The leaves are very itchy so pruning the tree & picking the fruit is no picnic. But, you will get figs…we get more than we can give away & end up thinning the trees to try & not get as much fruit. Birds love figs & will peck all the fruit they can reach, which then falls to the ground & gets infested with bugs & fruit flies. Like I mentioned, ours are large & a lot of work in the summer & fall. Now our peach tree on the other hand…love it!

That’s the new hot thing, you know, landscaping with edibles. At Sea World they were growing loads of Rainbow swiss chard in their flower beds. You are just trendy and forward-thinking.
    I personally think all my landscaping should be dual purpose.

Fruit trees in the front yard is ok if your happy to sit on your porch with a stick and beat back your neighbors.

I never did this, but I should have and I might have had some cherries.

I love fresh figs. So much. Right of the tree, still warm from the sun? To.Die.For.

Ohmigosh, I am so with you on this one! I truly believe fruit trees CAN be in the front yard. unfortunately, it seems, they cannot be in the midwest. for the past year I’ve been trying to figure out how I can get one, but from what I can tell, it would never survive the climate, or my terrible terrible soil. Boo.

Wow-I would be at your house every day if you have a fig tree-they are my favorite fruit-of course that may be a reason for your husband not to want one.

Is he worried about dropped fruit? Because I can remember many times hitting a ripe fig and going into a skid at my aunt’s house. :-) Otherwise – why not the front yard?

Love figs! My guy would never comment, so you will have to trust me on this one…a fig tree in the front yard would be just fine or even sublime.

The reason for my confidence is that last summer I planted tomato plants in our usual flower beds and we’ve both decided that our whole front yard will be filled with tomatoes this year.

So if anyone visits they can feel free to pick a snack.

My parents have two fig trees, not in the front yard but in HUGE pots. (But only since we don’t have a front yard anymore. When we did, they were planted there.) And let me tell you they are an awesome investment. Right up there with avocado trees.

Go for it! I’m still working on getting one, but several neighbors have fig trees in their front yards and they’re quite happy with them. And so am I. ;-)

Okay.. my new apple trees are in the front yard, and really the look of disapproval and dismay on my husband’s face cannot be stressed enough.. he loves me a lot, and knows that I want some apple trees, and that there is no place for them to grow in the back yard.. true story!

You should absolutely plant an orchard in your front yard it you want! What could be lovelier or more “fruitful” :) I would love to have a fig tree anywhere in my yard!