Preserved Lemons

Preserved lemons The first day.

Just as I promised yesterday, I’m going to show you how easy it is to make preserved lemons.

Preserved Lemons:

• 8-10 lemons (preferably organic)
  • 1/2 cup or more of kosher salt
  • 2 quart glass canning jar

Sterilize glass canning jar.

Wash and scrub the lemons.  Cut off the stem tip.  Then cut down through the lemon has if you are cutting it in half lengthwise, but don’t go all the way through.  Turn your knife a quarter turn and do the same thing.  You basically want it cut into 4 wedges that are still connected at the bottom.  (If this doesn’t make sense Google it, there are people who can explain it much better than I!

Place 2 tablespoons of salt at the bottom of the jar.  Holding the lemons over a plate pack salt into the lemon and shove it down into the jar.  Continue until the jar is filled to about an inch from the top.  Pour any juice on the plate into the jar.

Pour the rest of the salt over the lemons and push down on them to release as much juice as possible, and cover tightly.  (My first picture shows this).

Leave sitting out on the counter for 2-3 days.   Every so often, push down on the lemons releasing more juice and shake it around a bit.   After this, the lemons should have released enough juice to submerge all the lemons, if not you can add some lemon juice to the top.

At this point, I put mine in the fridge, even though some sites say you don’t have to.  They should be ready to eat in a couple of weeks, and should keep for about a year in the fridge.

To use, remove from the jar and rinse with water, removing the salt and pulp.  (You will be using the rinds only).  The rinds get sort of translucent.

Use organic!

You’ll need this!

After one day!

Now, go get busy and make yourself some preserved lemons, you will not regret it!

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Comments

I’ve never made preserved lemons but would love to try it. I can imagine how much flavor a bit of this would add to many dishes.

Not only is your post gorgeous, it is also helpful. I haven’t made these in an age. Thanks for the inspiration. Have agreat day. Blessings…Mary

this is a great post, pam–i’ve been seeing preserved lemons as ingredients in many dishes catching my eye these days.

Now this will come in handy! It seems I often come across recipes that call for preserved lemons, but I am too cheap to buy them in a specialty store. I will try this, happily! Thanks for sharing.

I’ve heard of preserved lemons, but haven’t had any. This doesn’t sound too complicated, and I love that cap on your jar. This might just be the recipe that kick-starts me into preserving stuff. :-)

I always have a jar of preserved lemons in my refrigerator. After the lemon chunks are gone, I refill the brine with new lemons one time. After that second batch of lemons is gone, I discard and start again. Once you have them on hand, you’ll be amazed at how many ways you will use them, especially as a substitute for capers.

How easy! I had no idea how easy they are to prepare. Looks like I have a new project to get started on! ;-)

Thanks for sharing @ FF!

I bet it smells wonderful! Now I have to find out what to do with them and then I’ll go raid my neighbors lemon tree :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. And thanks for reminding me of preserved lemons. I made them many years ago for, I think, a middle eastern dish. They certainly look delicious on that pizza.

Yes, I put the mint in a contained space. It’s actually in a large container that I snip off of constantly. I learned my lesson about giving mint free run of the garden!

Best,