Brie and Crispy Bread Salad with Cranberry Dressing

Brie and bread salad

I’m trying to think if there is anything I like more than cheese.  Hmmmm.  Let me think…let’s see….  Nope!  Seriously, cheese is all that and then some.  I could have it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and any other snack times in between.

So, when Marcus from Ille de France Cheese contacted me and asked if I’d like some free cheese.  I thought it was a trap, a trick question.  I mean who doesn’t want free cheese?  But I nonchalantly replied, “Oh, okay” so that he wouldn’t think I was some sort of cheese pig.  Then I got to pick my cheese.  Oh my, the choices.  My head spun and the little synapses in my brain just darted from cheese to cheese like some sort of weird cheese pinball game.  So, I settled on Brie.  Always pleasing and so accommodating.

Yummy

Then, with my pleasing and accommodating cheese, I went to Donna Hay.  Did a quick search on Brie and found Brie and Crispy Bread Salad with Cranberry Dressing.   And in that wonderful, karma, all’s right in cooking land sort of way, I had everything I needed to make the recipe.  Not only did I have everything, but I had some just going stale bread that I had to absolutely use up that day!!

Brie and Crispy Bread Salad with Cranberry Dressing

• 2 pieces flat bread
  • olive oil, for brushing
  • 250g brie, sliced
  • 2 cups wild rocket (arugula) leaves or baby spinach
  • ¼ cup roughly chopped sweetened dried cranberries
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • sea salt and cracked black pepper
  • To make the dressing, combine the cranberries, olive oil, vinegar and salt and pepper in a bowl.

Preheat the oven to 400.  Brush the bread with the oil, bake on a baking sheet for 4-5 minutes until it’s golden and crispy.  Allow the bread to cool, and then break into bite sized pieces.  Divide the brie, spinach (or arugula) and bread between the plates and drizzle with the dressing.

Serves 4

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Comments

Cheese… in any way shape or form equals YUM.

I can still remember the embarassment of checking out at the grocery story years ago and having the clerk ask me if I had a cheese problem.

Where you were able to muster nonchalance at being offered free cheese, I would’ve been jumping up and down, squealing “Yes, please!” Brie was a great choice and this was a great recipe to make use of it. 8-)

3. Pam says

wyo – I adore cheese!

chanel11 – I’ve made this recipe twice, it is a perfect lunch!

chelle – it was wonderful! Creamy and flavorful, perfect!

There was a thing in my paper last week about bread salads. I thought this was a little weird, but the cheese and other ingredients look wonderful to me! (Did I mention I don’t care much for croutons?)

I got free Brie cheese from them also..I’ve since found a soft French cheese I like even better- Port Salut- More flavor, and not so runny…

Who could refuse free cheese? Your salad is gorgeous. I enjoy the Donna Hay magazine I have. I would love to have one of her cookbooks. It’s on the short list.
      Sam

brie was a great choice, pam, obviously. i’m glad you did something a little different than the ol’ brie-in-puff-pastry bit (not that that’s not stellar). the dressing here is awesome!

Hi Pam, I too love cheese… I could eat it all day long–but don’t. Your Brie and Crispy Bread Salad with Cranberry Dressing sounds absolutely wonderful.

Have a great weekend.
      Hugs,
      Betsy

This looks delicious. The brie was a perfect choice. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

Anyone who says no to free cheese is not meant to be a food blogger. Cheese is the stuff that dreams are made of…

This salad sounds amazing! It’s almost like a baked brie with cranberry sauce…but in salad form!

Oh yeah. This looks scrumptious. I had grilled romaine a couple of nights ago and I highly recommend it. Sounds like something you’d like!