Cilantro, Mint and Lem0n Fish Couscous Salad

Fish Salad

Now that the weather has warmed up, my very favorite thing to do is to sit on my back porch and thumb through my old Donna Hay magazines.  The pictures are beautiful, the magazine is elegant and when accompanied by a glass of wine, it truly is a treat.  And in case you are wondering, I promise I don’t get any kind of endorsement from her, she is is Australia and doesn’t even know I exist.   Though if she did know who I was, I am sure we would be BFF’s.

So, while thumbing through Issue #49, I saw a recipe for Coriander, Mint and Lemon Fish.  All of my favorite flavors!  She gives you the main recipe for the fish (with instructions on how to freeze it) and then 3 recipes to use it in.  Since I had some Israeli couscous in my pantry, I settled on the couscous salad, though the Fish and Pea Curry and Crispy Fish with Asparagus and Corn also sounded delightful.

Fish Salad

This was wonderful.  Really flavorful.  I was kind of doubtful because there is no dressing on the salad, but it really does get all the flavor it needs from the fish.  I had leftovers for lunch the next day and it was even better!

Cilantro, Mint, and Lemon Fish Couscous Salad

• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 cup chopped mint leaves
  • 1 cup chopped cilantro
  • 2 T. lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
  • 4 firm white fish fillets (I used tilapia)
  • 2 cups cooked couscous
  • couple handfuls of baby spinach leaves
  • pint of halved cherry tomatoes
  • sliced red onion (I omitted)

Place all the ingredients up to the fish in a food processor and process until smooth.   Place fish fillets on a baking sheet and spread marinade over both sides of fish.  Let sit while you preheat your oven to 400.  Roast fish for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through,  chop into bite sized pieces.

Place cooked couscous, spinach, and tomatoes  and fish in a bowl, toss to combine.  Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil before serving.

Serves 4

This will be my entry for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Chaya from Comfy Cook.

Comments

I just love Cilantro…one of my favorites! Now is that your twist? Did her recipe call for the Coriander??
    I think I will try this for a side with Grilled Fish this summer. (You see, hubby doesn’t like his food all mixed together!)

Great photos, btw.
    Take care ~Natalie

i love couscous ..(i had it once) but have never tried to cook it. With this recipe Im tempted. it looks n sounds so good.. but more importantly… easy…:)

How delicious. This salad has it all and is my favorite kind of summertime meal. Cilantro and mint are a great combination.

I’ve never had the Israeli couscous before, but I am a huge fan of the smaller couscous. Looks might tasty Pam!

Thanks for another delicious salad to add to our summer (when it finally arrives) menu. I just stocked up on couscous, and the mint is starting to roam all over the garden.

Best,
    Bonnie

This looks great. I love Donna Hay, too. How do you prepare your couscous? Mine never looks like that.

i definitely prefer the israeli couscous to the itty bitty kind–i need a bit more toothy substance! this looks like a great combination of goods, pam–very elegant indeed.

What marvelous photos, Pam. I am not a fan of cilantro (there seem to be two distinct groups…those who love it and those who hate it) but usually substitute parsley, which I do like.
    I’ve made several salad with couscous, but none as nice as this!

I’m loving my recent Donna Hay subscription.

I love fish used in salads such as this. Alas, I just don’t enjoy mint in food. I feel like I’m eating toothpaste. I know that sounds weird; I don’t know any other adult who dislikes mint. I bet I could substitute basil, though, and still enjoy this. It certainly is pretty!

What a gorgeous looking salad! I’d have to replace the cilantro with parsley of course or no one in this house would eat it, myself included…lol.

Great photos too!

OH! Fish, lemon, couscous, and CILANTRO are my very favorites!!!! Can’t wait to try it!
    You get such wonderful photos of your meals!

This really dies look delicious. Did you use Israeli couscous? This is the kind of salad that will be perfect for the warmer months. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

Oh this sounds so good. I ordered some of the smiley face wine you reviewed a few weeks back. I can’t wait to get it! Who couldn’t love that bottle!

My daughter bought some Israeli couscous and I was looking for a recipe. Great flavors for a summer salad.
    Mimi