Fettuccine with Mushrooms, Lemon and Prosciutto

Pasta with Prosciutto

I know I’ve been making a lot of salads lately.  And while I feel all virtuous and healthy, I felt the need for a backslide today.  A step back to creamy.  To rich.  To warm and comforting.  Does your body do that…occasionally crave the opposite of how you’ve been eating?  Mine does.

So, to find creamy, warm and comforting, I pulled out Donna Hay Issue #14, from autumn 2004.  Because nothing says warm and comforting quite like autumn.  Especially if it includes pasta and cream.  Uh-huh, pasta and cream do it for me every time.

Pasta with Prosciutto

This recipe was everything I wanted and then some.  I adapted it a bit to brown the prosciutto in the skillet instead of under the broiler, like she recommended, and I used my favorite preserved lemons instead of the 2 T of lemon juice and 2 T of lemon zest that she called for, and I subbed fresh oregano for parsley, because I have more oregano than I know what to do with.  This was soo good.  It was rich and creamy, but the tartness of the lemon, cut the richness a bit, so it didn’t feel so heavy.  Lovely.

Fettuccine with Mushrooms, Lemon and Proscuitto

• 14oz dried fettuccine
  • 12 sliced prosciutto (I used 6 and that seemed like enough)
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 1/2 oz of butter
  • 1 lb mixed, fresh mushrooms
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 preserved lemon rind, diced (replace 2 T. lemon juice and 2 T. lemon zest)
  • 1 cup cream
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley (I didn’t have any, so I used oregano)
  • 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

Cook the pasta per directions and keep warm.

Heat a frying pan over medium high heat.  Add the oil and cook the prosciutto until it is crispy, and remove and set aside.  Add the butter and when it is melted add the mushrooms.  Cook for about 3 minutes, or until golden.  Add the garlic and lemon and cook for about 2 minutes.  Remove from the pan and set aside.  Add the cream to the pan, stirring up any brown bits, season with salt and pepper and simmer for about 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.  Add the pasta, the prosciutto,  the oregano, the mushrooms, and the parmesan and toss to coat.

Serves 4

This will be my entry for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Rachel, The Crispy Cook.

Comments

A creamy pasta dish always gets my attention. And prosciutto has a permanent home here – I buy it in bulk at Costco. Although it never lasts long…because of dishes like this.

Wow – this looks so fabulous! I preserved a bunch of meyer lemons earlier this year and didn’t know what to do with them and now I do. Thank you!

This is filling and it’s light at the same time. The prosciutto isn’t as heavy.

As for your oregano issue…trim, hang and dry and you’ll have some for the winter!

Sounds like a wonderfully perfumed dish. Thank you for sending over a plate to Presto Pasta Nights #165. Look for the roundup on Friday.

Oh my… that looks far tastier than the whole wheat spaghetti with plain old spaghetti sauce I’m having for dinner tonight.

Lovely photos Pam!

This looks so good, i want to eat it right now!!! Love the fact that it looks “lighter” and not as heavy as a alfredo!! Def going to try this!

It amuses me that I find out about all these Donna Hay recipes through your blog, especially as I live in the same city as her. There is no such things as too much pasta. This I will make.

this is the kind of backsliding that’s inevitable for me–i don’t even try to make excuses for it anymore. it’s luscious, pam–nicely done.

I personally almost always crave creamy. But then on occasion I’m really glad when I have fresh and light. It’s strange.

This pasta. Fantastic. I was thinking about prosciutto just yesterday. You are totally fueling a craving!

This pasta looks very good. I’ve been eating extremely healthy lately and feel a huge Memorial Day backslide on it’s way. Bring on the burgers and pasta.

…and I will be replacing the prosciutto with sun-dried tomatoes.
    So… it will be exactly the same as the original recipe… but totally different ;-)

Oh yum! I had prosciutto tonight too, but it wasn’t very cooperative. I could see this as a side dish or a main dish.

I made this last night, using my home-preserved lemons, but with half-and-half instead of cream (all my local store had except heavy whipping cream) and half oregano, half parsley. A definite keeper! Thank you. I especially like the flavor of the prosciutto rather than the ubiquitous bacon (although please don’t think I have anything against bacon).

All my favorite major foods covered here. Sounds lovely. I also have more fresh oregano than I know what to do with, but it’s the perennial and grows between other things. And, more jars of salted lemons as well. Not everyone appreciates them for Christmas.