Fusilli with Shrimp and Arugula

Pasta with Shrimp and Arugula

Surprise, I am not showcasing a Donna Hay recipe today!  I know.  It’s almost like the world stopped turning or something.  Instead I turned to another one of my favorite female chef’s, Giada.  What’s up with all the females, you might be asking.   I need to give the male chefs some loving, don’t I?  I will.  Maybe some Rick Bayless, some Mark Bittman, or about a little Michael Chiarello.   Wouldn’t we all like a little Michael Chiarello, or is that just me?  Sorry..getting all distracted here.

Back to Giada.  I had some arugula in the fridge, some pasta in the pantry and some shrimp in the freezer, so hello…Fusilli with Shrimp and Arugula.  While this wasn’t crazy good, it was good.  I like that it shows with some simple cooking techniques and nicely stocked pantry, you can get dinner on the table in under 30 minutes.  The technique to take away from this is the sautéing of the aromatics and then the deglazing and reducing of the white wine.  Seriously good.  The shallots were like little morsels of sweet wine candy.

I found the recipe in Giada’s Family Dinners, but you can also find it online Fusilli with Shrimp and Arugula

Fusilli with Shrimp and Arugula

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
  • 12 ounces fusilli pasta
  • 3 cups (packed) fresh arugula, torn in 1/2

Directions

Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and and saute  until they are translucent, or about 2 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and white wine  to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the wine reduces by half, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook just until they are pink, about 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the fusilli in a large pot of boiling, salted water, per package directions.

Drain the fusilli, and add it and the arugula to the skillet.  Toss to combine. Season the pasta, to taste, with salt and pepper. Transfer the pasta to a large bowl and serve.

Serves 4

This will be my entry for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Ruth at Once Upon a Feast.

Happy Memorial Day to everyone in the US!!!

Comments

Looks to me like a lovely simple dish…with a bit of a kick. I like Giada too but am amazed she didn’t add some mascarpone cheese to this as she seems to incorporate it into everything!

I think I’d like this dish. Plus, I like recipes that lend themselves to a little tweaking and this one would definitely qualify.

I got Giada’s Everyday Italian cookbook as a gift from my husband. I love it. Her marinara recipe is great. Unfortunately, my daughter “borrowed” it…must remember to get it back.

Michael Chiarello is a genius in the kitchen and he’s gorgeous to boot!

Yeah, why are you hating on the male chefs? (ha ha, just kidding)

Reducing wine after deglazing is a powerful flavor that can make some amazing sauces. Haven’t done that in a while, that’s a down side to grilling all the time, fewer pan sauces:)

A simple dish, naturally sweetened by the shrimp and lots of garlic. A joy to have with your latest wine tasting.

I really don’t like arugula, but this would be just great with spinach in its place!

Happy Memorial Day, Pam!

What a perfect dish for a holiday. I love shripm and flavored the way you did with shallots it must have been perfect. And it was beautiful!

Yeah, you distracted me too when you asked if we’d like a little Michael Chiarello… SIGH

Great looking recipe!

Shallots are such a great way to spruce up a pasta dish like this. I’m all for the Michael Chiarello love! Along with Rick Bayless. I give Bittman enough love as it is :P

sweet wine candy, eh? yes please! incidentally, i can’t see or hear the word ‘fusilli’ without thinking about the seinfeld episode featuring kramer’s fusilli sculpture of jerry. hilarious. :)

This looks amazing. Well, basically because it has shrimp, lol! I simply love shrimps, so any dish with shrimp in it is a good one for me. I like the fact that it cooks easily. You can practically whip up a meal in 30 minutes (or even less). I will definitely try this one. Thanks by the way for sharing!

Donna will not be pleased when I tell her. Still Giada is a good substitute. I’d be tempted to use a little vermouth instead of the wine. Michael who?