Garden Tuesday – Oak Leaf Hydrangea

Oak leaf hydrangea

I know I’ve said it many times, but oak leaf hydrangea is my all time favorite flowering shrub.

oak leaf hydrangea

Just do a search on my blog and see it in all it’s gorgeous stages.

Right now, it’s white flowers are slowly turning to pink.

Did I mention that it’s huge???  Plus we have taken little offshoots of this original bush and now have 4 more bushes scattered through our yard.  There is no such thing as too many oak leaf hydrangeas.

Comments

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an oak leaf hydrangea. It sure is pretty. I’ll have to look for them at our nursery.

I love hydrangeas! love the colours that they are…teh pink esp. I havent seen this variety though. only the ‘normal’ones. we plant them here too although not too profusely. Ive tried twice and I was a failure twice. sigh yours look beautiful .

Beautiful, Pam! No wonder it’s called Oak Leaf hydrangea!

I used to surround my patio with viburnum carlesii…the fragrance was divine.

I’m quite enamoured of hydrangeas but our humid Sydney climate isn’t the best for them. They tend to suffer from funagl attack. Pity.

I just planted a Annabelle Hydrangea and it is looking pretty droopy. I’m trying to keep the soil around it moist. But, I’m afraid it won’t survive. Any tips?

I had two, but lost one last winter. It still has some small green leaves at the very base of the woody stalks, but it’s pretty much a goner. Do you ever cut yours back? What time of year? After it’s finished blooming, but before winter? Mine only had a few blossoms this year. I really should read a book on gardening.

7. Anonymous says

My oak leaf hydrangea survived a year in a huge pot and subsequent transplant to a sunny raised bed. It is enormous. Our resident deer attack it every year when our temporary fence is down. I’d love to transplant it to an area where it could grow freely without being fenced. Any ideas?