Pam’s Bistro Salad

Bistro salad - or not!

I have a confession.  I have absolutely no idea what a bistro salad is.  I imagine it is a main dish salad that you eat while sitting at a bistro.  Since I have never been to a bistro, this is all just hearsay.  My definition is that it is a main dish salad with an egg on top.  Stick an egg on top of salad and I am immediately transported to an outdoor cafe, with a slight breeze, and a glass of perfectly chilled white wine.  This is how my imagination works.

Salad

So, anyway.  I have bunches of lettuce from my CSA.  So I needed a salad ASAP.  I had some pork sausage and some eggs and an extremely lethargic attitude.  This is what I did.  Tore up the lettuce into bite sized pieces and placed in two bowls.  Browned pork sausage in skillet.  (Yes, my sausage looks very brown.  This is what happens when you sit down on the couch to play a level or two of Plants Vs. Zombies  on your iPod while the sausage browns).  Remove sausage with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.  Fry an egg in the sausage fat.  Sprinkle sausage on lettuce and top with egg, drizzle with a little hot chili vinegar.  Butter some sourdough toast, open a bottle of wine, and feel the breeze.

This will be my entry for Souper Sundays (Soup, Salad, or Sammie) hosted by Deb at Kahakai Kitchen.

Comments

You’re lucky they were only brown, my phone cost me a whole tray of meringues :(
    I am of the opinion that most salads can be improved with the addition of a lovely egg – yummy

You know, I do dinner like this every night. as little effort as possible, while still trying to have it taste good… and you salad is still fancier. Ah well. It looks great. Maybe I need to work on presentation.

Why have I never put an egg (besides hard boiled and sliced) on a salad? Looks like a bistro salad to me! Love this idea of sausage and eggs over greens.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen sausage in a salad before BUT I love it! Your imagination works wonders:)

I enjoyed your narrative about an outdoor cafe, with a slight breeze, and a glass of perfectly chilled white wine as much as the idea of the bistro salad.

Man, I wish I lived next door to you, and we were the kind of neighbours who share stuff back and forth. You’d invite me to dinner on the deck for this salad, and I’d bring my rhubarb cobbler for dessert and we’d finish off the bottle of wine, chatting and enjoying the summer, until the bugs chased us indoors.

Love dinners like this. Your Bistro salad looks absolutely delicious and the photos – well…they’re incredible too!

Yum! and, I love your definition of a bistro salad. I have been loving eggs lately and this look delish. I like that you didn’t overcook the yolk too.

Your extremely lethargic attitude is calling to me…LOL! I’ve been feeling the same way. I’d definitely eat that salad.

I love this type of salad. The French know how to do things right. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

i don’t know what defines a bistro salad either, but i like your idea of it. fried eggs are always good, and if there’s sausage and pork fat involved, well, i’m all in. :)

I like sausage that brown! It’s all nice and crispy. Yum.

Those iPhones are addicting. My roommate’s boyfriend was obsessed with his fishtank for a while. And I’m pretty sure this aliens v. planet thing is the newest obsession.