Sweet and Tart Slaw Dressing

Sweet and Tart Slaw

Have you ever stopped to contemplate slaw?  Slaw is kind of weird.  I mean, no one ever goes around saying, “Boy, I wish I had some slaw today.”  Yet, it’s always there, just kind of plugging along.  For me, it’s usually an afterthought, that little Styrofoam container tossed in at the last minute in the Kentucky Fried Chicken bag.

And since you are stopping to contemplate slaw, think about all the slaw ramifications.  Do you like yours creamy or vinegary?  Sweet or sour?  With or without onions?  Purely cabbage, or some carrots, what about broccoli?   See.  Slaw is a complex thing.  A wonder.  (You’re looking at it in a whole new light, now aren’t you?)

My whole slaw contemplation came about because my CSA gave me 5 heads of cabbage.  So, I’ve been eating lots of slaw lately, you might even say I’ve become a slaw connoisseur.   I’ve learned a few things:  One – I prefer a vinegar based slaw, two – I like mine sweetish,  and three – lovage is amazing in slaw, it gives it a huge flavor boost.   Seriously, if you can find some lovage (what, you aren’t growing it in your herb bed?!), chop up a little in your slaw.  It’s really strong, so go easy until you know you like it. And last, but not least, my new favorite slaw dressing from Sara Fosters:  Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster’s Market.  Equal parts vinegar and sugar, that is the magic formula!  She has this to go on a zucchini slaw, which I will try later when my CSA gives me 324 zucchinis.

Sweet and Tart Slaw Dressing

• 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a jar, and shake until the sugar dissolves.  Use immediately or refrigerate for up to a week.

This will be my entry for Side Dish Showdown created by Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice!

Cookbook Used:

Comments

There is a restaurant in my area that uses honey in their dressing, and it was the first time I had ever had a sweet slaw. What an amazing thing!! I had never had a slaw dressing without mayo and vinegar (and a few other things)

You have posted some lovely dressing recipes lately! I will have to remember these when summer comes back to our region!

Fortunately, I remembered to plant lovage this year!

Did you know you can freeze cabbage? I just quarter it and put it in freezer bags and it’s great in cabbage soup or anything that uses cooked cabbage.

Cannot imagine what you were thinking in that 2008 photo in your What Was It Wednesday post. The cute little guys standing over the stove?

Anyway…I love cole slaw but I am major fussy about it. Hate the carraway seed kind. I’ll give yours a try next time, although I usually end up with a sweet/sour mayo kind.

(Sending you an email.)

I like my slaw creamy, and a little sweet, with plenty of cabbage and lots of carrots. A friend started making it with golden raisins after having it that way in the Carribbean, but that was just too weird for me. See? We all have our slaw opinions!

Hi Pam, How does it feel to be on VACATION??? Bet you are enjoying it… Just wish it wasn’t so darn hot…

I love slaw—but not the mayo kind. My mother made a fabulous slaw with vinegar AND sugar –and onions and green pepper. SO SO delicious!!!

Hugs,
    Betsy
    P.S. I do like KFC’s slaw though!!!

Now I feel weird since I have actually thought….gee, I wish I had slaw today. Usually it’s too easy to grab a tub from the store but when I leave Germany, I’ll start making it again. Vinegar and sweet? oh yes!

i like LOTS of vinegar and sugar, and mayonnaise is an instant turn-off. this looks like a batch that i’d enjoy atop some super saucy pulled pork barbecue…mmm.

Type of slaw for us depends on what it’s going with – for Pork BBQ Sandwiches it has to be creamy with mustard and vinegar; with chicken it’s creamy with cranberries; asian it’s vinegar and sweet…I guess in a nutshell we just like slaw! As for lovage, you got me on that one. What does it taste like?

How gorgeous. This slaw looks and sounds wonderful. I’ll have to give it a try. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

I must pass this recipe on to my mom… she DOES go around saying “I wish I had some slaw today.”

I am a HUGE coleslaw fan. I love it anyway, creamy or vinegary. I especially love it with celery seed. Yours looks very pretty! Good luck with all that cabbage.

Somehow that’s not what I thought you meant by lovage :P I only like vinegary slaws…definitely giving this a try. And definitely finding some lovage. Wink wink.

{I mean, no one ever goes around saying, “Boy, I wish I had some slaw today.” }

Actually….um, I have. I love good slaw. While I like to try a variety of them, my general preferences are
    -a little sweetness
    -a little horseradish
    -a touch of celery seed
    -I like vinegar but mayo also