Herbed Lemon Vinegar

Herbed Lemon Vinegar

As my summer comes to an end, **SOB** I start trying to put things up for winter.  I look for ways to have the herby goodness from my herb bed all winter long.  One of my very, very favorite ways is to make infused oils and vinegars.  They are so versatile, you can use them in marinades, dressing, glazes, use them to deglaze a pan or simple splash on some veggies before roasting.

When I had some gorgeous, gorgeous lemons to use up, I made preserved lemons with most of them and then with the 2 I had left over I made this vinegar.  I found the recipe in my favorite preserving book:  The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Recipes to Use Year-Round

Vinegar

Since this has to sit in the dark for a few weeks, I can’t tell you if it’s good or not, but just look at it!!  I expect big things from this, and I am sure it will deliver!

Herbed Lemon Vinegar

• 2 lemons
  • 2 cups white wine vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon drilled dill weed, basil, rosemary or tarragon, or 4 small sprigs of fresh herbs (I used fresh tarragon)
  • 2 cloves garlic, sliced (optional – I included them!)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar

Finely zest the lemons and then thinly slice them.  Combine the zest, lemon slices, vinegar, herbs and garlic in a medium non-reactive pot.  Bring to a boil over high heat, remove from heat and let cool.

Pour into a clean jar.  Cover and steep in a cool, dark place for several weeks.  Taste it occasionally and when it is as strong as you would like, strain and discard the solids.  Heat the vinegar with sugar until the sugar is dissolved.  Pour into a clean jar with a tight fitting lid and store in the refrigerator.

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Cookbook Used:

Comments

I am really lovin a lemon and basil combination right now. I’m def going to try this. I purchased this book after seeing all the great looking stuff you were making. I have not been disappointed. Thanks. Blessings, SusanD

This looks like a winner to me! I have lemons in the fridge and I’m making this today. This will be so good on salads.

I love infused vinegars and oils. This recipe is a new one to me. Thanks for the recipe. I am going to try this one for sure.

Wow – can’t wait to try this when our Meyer’s are ready. We’re going to have a huge crop this year! Great idea!

I’ve never seen a lemon vinegar, but this looks wonderful. I want to give this a try. Those ingredients should produce a wonderful flavor. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

What a nice thing to do with some of your lemons, Pam… I’m sure you’ll enjoy that on your veggies and other dishes this Fall.

Sorry school is starting SO soon for you….

Have a good weekend though.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

why’d you have to go and bring up the fact that summer is ending? party pooper. :)
    i love the fact that this has to sit in the dark for awhile–how creepy and fun. :)

8. Pam says

Joanne – I’m excited too!

Lea Ann – I hope so!

Susan – it is my favorite book!

Anh – I can’t wait to see what you use it on.

Katherine – that’s what I’m thinking!

Mo – you won’t regret ordering it!

Mags – good! I hope you like it!

Cathy – I know, I can think of a zillion different uses.

Bonnie – I hope you like it!

June – Lucky you!

Mary – give it a try, I think it’s going to be great!

Teresa – yes, look at my posts with the lemon label.

Jain – thanks!

Hip – that’s what I’m thinking!

Betsy – I plan on having a good weekend!

Marjie – I feel the same way.

Linda – let me know how it goes!

I’m sure it will be wonderful! I made a rosemary citrus vinegar once (fresh rosemary sprigs with some orange zest), and it was so good. You have inspired me to make this!

Sorry, I quit listening after “summer is over”, after that all I heard was blah blah blah blah, because I refuse to accept it :)

Trackbacks