Quinoa Salad with Scallops, Corn and Bacon

Quinoa salad

I love lists.  Love them.  I always have a to-do list.  I have been know to wake up in the middle of the night to add to my to-do list.  I have also been known to add something to it that I have already completed, just so that I can scratch it off.  When I got my new phone, the first thing I looked for was a to-do list app.  You should have seen my list at the beginning of summer.  Such optimism I had.  I am saddened to say that several of the things on the list, have been dutifully moved over every day, and now will probably continue to be dutifully moved every day until the beginning of next summer.  Except for one.  I finally cleaned out and inventoried my freezers!!  The stacks of jars lining my counter, to be cleaned out and washed was impressive.  Bacon grease from 2004!   Labels in my oldest daughter’s handwriting, and she hasn’t lived with us in 8 years!

I know, you’re wondering what is the point of this only somewhat interesting rambling.  I have a point.  And that point is that while cleaning out my freezer, I found a half a bag of those tiny scallops (I think they’re called bay scallops), so I used them.  Yeah, it took me a whole paragraph to get to this.

quinoa salad

Once I found the scallops, I searched through pantry and fridge.  I found some quinoa, bacon, and a couple of ears of CSA corn.  If you don’t know about organic corn, let me tell you that it has worms.  Big worms.  After last summer’s worm scare, I now cut off the top 3-4 inches (and even then, I have cut a worm in half – ewww).   This ended up being really good!  So, good that I immediately went and added quinoa to my grocery list.

Quinoa with Scallops, Corn and Bacon

• 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 1/2 ears fresh corn (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/2 pound bay scallops
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 4 slices bacon, diced
  • 1 jalapeño diced
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
  • lime wedges for serving

Cook quinoa per package directions.  (I used 2 cups water, boiling, added the quinoa and cooked for 15 minutes on simmer, turned off the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes).

While quinoa is cooking, slowly brown the bacon in skillet over medium heat.  When browned, remove with a slotted spoon.  Add onions and cook until softened, then add pepper and corn.  Saute for a few minutes to blend flavors and add scallops.  Cook until scallops are cook through, about 3-5 minutes.  Stir in quinoa, bacon and fresh basil, and salt and pepper to taste.  Serve with lime wedges.

This will be my entry for Souper Sundays (Soup, Salad, or Sammie) hosted by Deb at Kahakai Kitchen.

Comments

I love quinoa! I have it for breakfast with grilled pease pudding (no kidding!) It (the quinoa) has such a nice creamy consistency. Mmmmm….

I made quinoa a few days ago and I ruined it. It was horrible and I didn’t think it was possible to ruin it. I do have scallops in the freezer but I’m not sure I want to risk it. Ha! Maybe…

I love quinoa salads and what a super idea to pair it with your freezer find of scallops!

My kids have been making fun of me for years about my lists. I let things go and then all at once I try to do everything on the list!

I need to clean out my garage and keep putting it off. I know I’ll be so happy when its done but just can’t get started. And heaven only knows what’s buried at the back of my freezer. Scary.

What a lovely, delicious salad. Qinoa is a favorite here.

I have a whole bag of quinoa that I need to use. Tried it once and was underwhelmed. Love the addition of corn, scallops and of course the bacon. I’m a list maker too…love making that line through the completed task. I can’t stand to have lists on my computer for that very reason. Thanks for this quinoa idea.

I’ve only had quinoa as a side dish… I am loving the idea of using it as a main dish – great recipe!

So, you know by now that you can always get my attention with bacon in the title, right?

My to-do lists have lists. I love lists. And colored post-it notes.

Oh, you’re brave. I am afraid to comtemplate what’s in my freezer even though I cleaned it out 6 months ago. I need to keep a rotating list on the front of the door. Another thing on my to-do list that I haven’t gotten to.

I’m a list maker as well. Can’t live without my list. Usually make a list on Monday and finish the same list on Friday, what can I say? Finding a surprise like scallops in the freezer is like having an extra pay-day :)

I have an entire clipboard loaded down with all kinds of to-do lists. Someday I’ll get to all those things:)

Love the quinoa salad.

I thought I was the only one who had a love affair with lists- You are not alone! I do the same thing….If I have accomplished something that is not on my to-do list, I put it on my list just t cross it off. I feel so productive that way.

What an interesting flavor combination with quinoa and scallops…Nice!

I am the exact same way! I write down things on my lists I have already done just to check them off on a daily basis. :) On another note, we just made a quinoa dish tonight for dinner! I love quinoa and I love scallops (well and corn and bacon). This looks like a winner!

A perfect summer salad.
    It good to see that while I’ve been on vacation your garden continue to grow, the cats are as photogenic as ever, you still drink some good wines and Wednesdays are still up in the air.
    Mimi

i’m a list-maker too, and i’ve gone so far as to write something down just to scratch it off myself. nothing wrong with that. no ma’am.
    tasty, fresh, and healthful salad, pam. thank the lord above for bacon. :)

I have a bag of quinoa in the cabinet; now, I know what to do with it.

I love how I read what you wrote: “….I have cut a worm in half – ewww. This ended up being really good!…” What?! I had to go back and insert the punctuation in my brain:)