Banana-Vanilla Shake

Banana Vanilla Shake

Sad day people.  First day back at school.  No more leisurely sipped coffee while watching the birds frolic at the bird feeder.  Back to reality. Back to school.

Like the kiddies, I need a snack when I get home.  Unlike the kiddies, I have no mommy waiting for me with a plate of cookies and milk (boy, wouldn’t that be lovely).  Usually I have yogurt, quick and easy.  But I got to thinking…what about a smoothie or a shake.  How hard could it be?

Turns out not very hard at all.  In about the same amount of time it takes me to spoon out my yogurt and add some jam to it, I made this shake.  Seriously, get the blender out, slice the banana, pour the milk, splash the vanilla, get the crushed ice (my fridge dispenses crushed ice along with cubes – I love my fridge!), add a smidge on agave nectar, whiz it up.  Yum.  Healthy, cold, frothy, what more could you ask for?

This comes from How to Cook Everything, Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition: 2,000 Simple Recipes for Great Foodfrom Mark Bittman, the master of simplicity.

Banana-Vanilla Shake

• 1 ripe banana (frozen is okay)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup crushed ice
  • sugar (or simple syrup, or agave) to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in a blender and whiz until smooth.

Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.

Serves 2 (Maybe.  Maybe only one.)

This will be my entry for I Heart Cooking Clubs!

And

Two For Tuesdays!

And

Cookbook Used:

Comments

Fun snacks are definitely the only way to get through the workday. This shake – so delicious. And not even bad for you! Double bonus.

Looks like a refreshing pick-me-up. We have a friend who is restarting her 5th grade class for the last year and she sure is looking forward to retirement.

Yes, wouldn’t it be nice to come home to a glass of milk and cookies, but as I work from home I am always the greeter, not the greeted.

And I love smoothies, I swapped my yoghurt for a tall glass once I too realised how quick they are to make – banana and vanilla with a dash of cinnamon is still my favourite combo.

Sounds good, Pam…. After working in the yard this morning (pant pant), that smoothie or milkshake would taste really good.

Good Luck back at work… When do your kiddies get there????
    Hugs,
    Betsy

Oh no, it’s way too early for back to school. Where has the summer gone? Your banana shake is a great after school pick-me-up.

omg, school already!? Too hot for school… But, if you Must be there (and you must), then this is definitely something to look forward to upon returning home. I love shakes…and this is one I’ll be trying very soon! Thanks Pam…for sharing it with IHCC & 24T this week! =)

OH Pammi!!! I LOVE mark bittman! whooo hooo! Thanks for sharing this on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop…and ya, it would be nice to have a mommy around to give you milk and cookies, but when my mommy is around she tells me to clean my house! ;) Alex@amoderatelife

I am really beginning to love the simplicity of Bittman’s recipes. This sounds perfectly snack like!!
    Thanks for sharing it with Two for Tuesdays!

There’s nothing like a simple and deliciuos shake to give you a little mid-afternoon pick-me-up. This one sounds perfect. Thanks for sharing this at Two for Tuesday!

Pam, love your idea. I do a variation with plain kefir, bananas, peanut butter, vanilla, and honey. Kind of like a peanut butter banana sandwich minus the bread!

Would love it if you would consider sharing this blog or another post at Monday Mania. Hope to see you there!