Beef Salad with Mint

Beef Salad with Mint

I don’t know about you, but I almost never finish my entire meal in a restaurant.  So, I am always bringing home bits of this and that, half orders of pasta, whatever.  Well, when I was cleaning out my freezer, I found half a steak.  What to do with half a steak???  I love salads with leftover sliced beef and one of my very favorites is Beef Salad with Mint from How to Cook Everything, Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition: 2,000 Simple Recipes for Great Foodfrom Mark Bittman.   It’s the perfect way to stretch a little bit of meat.

Beef Salad with Mint

• 1 8-10 ounce piece of beef (filet mignon or sirloin)
  • 4 cups torn Boston, romaine or any lettuce blend
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh mint (or basil, parsley, or cilantro)
  • 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (I omitted because I don’t like raw onion)
  • 1 small cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used chili sauce)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • chopped peanuts (my addition, I like them on this salad)

If you are starting with raw meat, heat a grill or grill pan to high.  Grill to medium rare, about 4-5 minutes per side and set aside to rest and cool.

Toss the lettuce with the mint, onion, and cucumber.  Combine the dressing ingredients and reserve 1 tablespoon, tossing the rest over the salad.

Thinly slice the beef (reserving any juices) and lay the slices over the salad.  Combine the meat juice with the reserved dressing and drizzle over the top.  Top with chopped peanuts.

Makes 3-4 light servings.

This will be my entry for I Heart Cooking Clubs!

AND  for Souper Sundays (Soup, Salad, or Sammie) hosted by Deb at Kahakai Kitchen.

Comments

The dressing on that salad sounds fantastic! I always have odds and ends as well and I just usually snack on them throughout the week. This, however, looks tastier!

I made a steak salad the other night, too! Your dressing sounds much healthier than mine (Honey mustard) and I love the idea of adding peanuts. I threw in large chunks of avocado.

Good Morning, Pam,
    My left-overs (well, planned-overs) become my lunch for school the next day. However, I’d love to give this a try. When we were in Vegas, I had the best salad, with slices of steak on top…
    Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Have a thoughtful Thursday. ~Natalie

I still have a teenage son at home so any beef leftovers disappear before I can get to them. That said you salad looks delicious.
    Mimi

Someone else finishes my restaurant meals. Or else the leftovers come home to Thor. He hasn’t eaten without his human food, you know. Good save for this steak!

This really looks outstanding. The dressing sounds fantastic and how can you not love a salad that features steak. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

I have this one tagged to make–it has all my favorite flavors in it. Great way to re-purpose your leftovers and perfect potluck pick. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays too!
    ;-)

What a great use of leftover steak. Makes me want to go out and eat steak tomorrow night just to have leftovers for salad!

what a gorgeous picture–my compliments! i don’t usually go for beef salads, but i do love the ingredients here. the peanuts make it!

Beef and mint isn’t something I’d have thought to pair together…but this salad has totally changed my mind. It’s gorgeous and I want to taste it ;)

I almost skipped this one because I thought it said beet salad ;)

The mint, red onion and peanuts wake this dish up for me (even if you don’t like the onion). Nicely done!

what a great use of left over steak. We’ve had tonnes of left over rib eyes lately at work and I will post this up on the fridge for people to use with the left overs.

Trackbacks