Chicken, Rice, and Black Bean Salad

Chicken salad

Hey food bloggers, I have a question.  Do you only post recipes that you like?  What if you make something and you don’t like it, but others might?  That’s how I feel about this recipe.

Let me first give a disclaimer.  I made this with brown rice.  It’s my effort to be healthier.  I shouldn’t have.  Though I try, I just can’t embrace the whole grain thing.  I much prefer white bread over whole wheat, regular pasta instead of whole wheat and white rice over brown.  So, making this recipe with brown rice already kicks it down a notch in my book.

But I am posting this because my husband liked it.  Time for another disclaimer…while I am happily munching on my Cinnamon Crunch Bagel with Hazelnut Cream Cheese at Panera’s, he, on-purpose – no one made him,  is eating a whole grain bagel, and while I order the big basket of hot wings at Buffalo Wild Wings, he orders a chicken salad!!!  Seriously, who in their right mind orders a chicken salad at a restaurant called Buffalo Wild Wings?!!  So there, with that knowledge, you can be the judge on whether or not my husband’s opinion matters.

So, anyway, this was okay.  It was nice and healthy and a way to use up some leftover chicken.  I think it could be jazzed up a bit, maybe some lime juice or something.

Chicken, Rice and Black Bean Salad (From Martha Stewart)

• 1 cup brown (or white) rice
  • 1 cooked chicken (about 2 1/2 pounds), shredded (about 4 cups)
  • 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 6 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
  • 1 jalapeno chile (seeds and ribs removed for less heat, if desired), minced
  • 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced
  • Cook rice according to package instructions. Spread on a baking sheet; refrigerate until cool.
  • Place cooled rice in a large bowl; add chicken, beans, tomatoes, scallions, jalapeno, vinegar, oil, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Serve immediately, or refrigerate, covered, up to 1 day.

This will be my entry for Souper Sundays (Soup, Salad, or Sammie) hosted by Deb at Kahakai Kitchen.

• Sharing is fun!Share on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

Comments

You know how they say that you should never trust a skinny chef? Yeah. That’s all I’m going to say.

It certainly LOOKS pretty. I have to admit, I’m all about the whole grains as well, but I can see why someone wouldn’t be. There are some recipes that just call for white rice and you just can’t fight it.

I think it’s good to post things you didn’t care for and explain why.

For awhile I was eating all whole grains and then took a break and made some regular white pasta. Oh my gosh what a difference. I like the whole grains but I love the white.

First, that picture is fabulous. Second, I do post recipes with which I am not completely in love. But, like you, I add disclaimers in the post.

The one thing I am not too pleased about? I am completely carbo-craving Panara bagels now. Thanks! (grrrr) My egg whites are not looking like a delish bagel with ooey gooey cream cheese schmear goodness. hmmm…. lol Have a great day!

I would try this…but the hubs would so not eat it. lol. I’d use Basmati brown rice though. It’s a little easier to take. BTW, Pepperidge Farm makes a FABULOUS (no, really) Whole Grain White Bread. That’s what we eat at my house. Even the grand-boy likes it. You should try it. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

I say post everything and tell why it didn’t work for you.
      I eat whole grains, but they are not usually my first choice, after all I come from the Wonder Bread generation. That said, your salad look good to me.
      Mimi

You must have seen me comment that I didn’t like something? That will be true for tomorrow’s planned post, as well. And like Joanne said, never trust a skinny chef. My son Jeffrey goes looking for the fat guy in restaurants to find out what the good food is. (He also says fat lady vets are the best – the most sympathetic!)

My personal promise is that I only post recipes that are loved by either myself or my hubby…. so you’re spot on with posting this with the brown rice. People can always adapt and use white rice if they want to, right?

I like this! Glad you posted it! I’m at the point where I can’t bring myself to eat white rice or pasta…love the whole grains! They have more flavor to me.

Lime juice sounds good with that. I love brown rice and thank you for posting this because yes, it looks like something I could love.

Multigrain bread is my fave type of bread, but the whole wheat pasta not so much. I prefer white rice over brown but sometimes brown feels just right..

Pam – I post the good, the bad and the ugly. I figure people need to know the truth. As for whole grains, you’re unlikely to find them in my kitchen either, except maybe soba (buckwheat) noodles.

Oh Pam I’m soo not into the whole grain thing either. Sometimes I pretend to be because I sound healthy. And smart.

a baeautiful photo.

I actually do post recipes that I wouldn’t necessarily eat. I’m not a big fan of deserts, but I might run into one that looks fast, easy, or just plain tasty and I’ll post it up!

I love all of your photo and food blogs though, I might not always comment, but I read EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!

Brightest blessings!

I do post ones I wasn’t thrilled over but only if someone else might like it or might learn from my mistake.

LMAO over how you qualified your husband’s opinion. Too funny.