Pasta with Butter, Sage, and Parmesan

Pasta with Butter, Sage, and Parmesan

What’s in your herb bed?  Mine… rosemary, tarragon, chives, fennel, thyme, oregano, sage, and catnip.  The catnip is enjoyed the most :) followed closely by rosemary, chives and thyme.  I rarely use my sage or fennel.  So, when I saw that my sage was about 2 feet tall, I went searching for something sage-y.  What I found was Pasta with Butter, Sage, and Parmesan from How to Cook Everything, Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition: 2,000 Simple Recipes for Great Foodby the master of simplicity, Mark Bittman.

Sage

This was everything I wanted it to be:  simple, creamy and good.  And yes, I know it was probably up there in the whole calorie count thing, but you know what, I don’t care.  It was made with all wholesome ingredients:  pasta made from organic flour, butter made from grass fed cows, organic parmesan, and sage from my own garden.  It was perfect for lunch the next day because there was no garlic in it, something I try to avoid too much of since I have to lean over to talk to my students a lot!

Pasta with Butter, Sage, and Parmesan

• 6 tablespoons butter
  • 20 or 30 fresh sage leaves (or 1 tablespoon dried)
  • salt and fresh black pepper to taste
  • 1 pound cut pasta (like ziti or penne)
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.  Add the sage, salt and pepper.  Cook until the butter turns light brown, about 10 minutes.

Salt the boiling water and cook the pasta per package directions.  Reserve 2 or 3 tablespoons of the pasta water and place in a warm serving bowl.  Drain the pasta and in the serving bowl, toss it with the butter mixture and half the Parmesan cheese.  Serve with additional ground black pepper and the rest of the Parmesan cheese.

Serves 4

This will be my entry for I Heart Cooking Clubs because I think leftover pasta is a fabulous lunch!

ALSO  for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Amy of Very Culinary.

AND

AND

Two For Tuesdays!

Comments

What a lovely pasta Pam. I have fresh sage growing in my herb garden along with two kinds of basil, several kinds of thyme, oregano and of course a huge rosemary bush.

I have the original How to Cook Everything and use it all of the time. I wonder if there are a lot of new recipes in the revised edition. Hard to believe that wonderful book is 10 years old.
    Sam

It’s hard to beat a simple pasta dish, especially in a cheese and butter sauce. I don’t believe I’ve ever put sage in pasta though and ours is same as yours – rarely used and very big.

For some reason, the only herb that really thrived in my garden was my sage so I’m delighted to find another way to use it. This pasta looks fabulous.

Sage is growing in my herb pot and I don’t use it as often as I should. I prefer pasta with a light dressing instead of heavy sauces I make in the winter. I’m looking forward to trying this, Pam.

Butter and cream make most pasta dishes better, and there is nothing like fresh herbs.

So glad I’ll see you over at my place this week for PPN!

6. leilani says

The nice thing about sage is that it’s a beautiful ornamental plant too.

I love to saute sage leaves in olive oil until nice and crispy and add them to scrambled eggs or an omelet. To my mind, sage and eggs were made to go together.

I don’t think your students would mind the faint aroma of garlic wafting about their favorite teacher! And it would keep the vampires amongst them at bay. I love penne, and this looks wonderful, calorie count notwithstanding.

I do almost the same thing, with the addition of some lemon juice, with gnocchi. Tastes heavenly.
    Calories? Never heard of those things! ;-)
    Fresh green salad with a light dressing to go with it and my conscious is clear again.

This morning while I was out watering in the greenhouse I noticed that the sage was finally taking off, and I started wondering what I should do with it. This recipe looks perfect. Thanks for the delicious inspiration! :)

I sure do like the flavor of sage, but for some reason I only think of it at Thanksgiving time! Wonder why…? This sounds like a nice transition-to-fall dish.

I actually get a good run with my sage – I use it on pork or pasta, as you have, frequently – fresh rosemary get the least amount of attention

too much basil, coriander, chervil, marjoram, fennel, dill, rosemary thyme (at scarborough fair.)

I find sage one of the ones I have a hard time cooking with. I basically only grow it b/c i love the three colored look. Though with butter and cheese (and sage), my shoe would be good.

I just picked some of my sage yesterday for a butternut squash pasta recipe. It’s my most under used herb. This looks delicious. Bookmarking it to try.

I think sage is gorgeous…and honestly, it’s become my favorite herb this year! I love the sound of your pasta…right up my alley right now! I love making cleansing sage bundles at the end of the season, too. Thanks so much for sharing this with Two for Tuesdays and IHCC this week, Pam!! =)

I didn’t grow any sage over the summer, but I just put some in an herb pot that I intend to bring inside for the winter. I hope it takes hold because I love the taste of sage in the autumn. Thanks for linking up with Two for Tuesday. Gotta say, the catnip is most popular at my home, as well.

Pammy! I love that you combined SAGE in this simple recipe! Everyone else uses either oregano or basil and you went out there on a limb with sage! Very cool! I also think pasta is good for lunch and I love bittman baby! Thanks for linking to the Two for Tuesday Recipe Blog Hop and please visit me to enter my giveaway of a Real Food for Rookies Class! http://bit.ly/dwfvMj :) Alex@amoderatelife

Why oh why didn’t I plant sage this year? Thanks for pointing out this recipe. Looks like one I would enjoy greatly!

Leftover pasta is an awesome lunch. ;-) I just added a sage plant to my herb garden so will definitely try this one–it looks amazing. I need to find Max a catnip plant too!

I’m growing those herbs as well, and pasta is such a great way to showcase them. They can each have their day on center stage.