Roasted Halibut and Green Beans with Asian Cilantro Sauce

Roasted Fish with Asian Cilantro Sauce

I want to be British.  They get to say fun things like gobsmacked and bloody ‘ell and shagged.  I’m feeling rather British this morning because the first thing I thought of when I saw this photo was, “that mushroom is being rather cheeky all out in front like that.”  Cheeky.  I even thought it in my head in a lovely British accent.

This, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with this recipe, what with the Asian Cilantro Sauce and all.  But still, it is a cheeky mushroom, isn’t it?  Sorry..back to the recipe.  First off, I didn’t have the $19 dollars a pound halibut that it called for, what I had was the $7.99 dollars a pound tilapia.  A teacher’s salary does not include halibut, especially when one is having their floors redone.  And second of all, it was fabulous.  Crazy good.  Insanely good.  You know one of those dishes that is ridiculously easy, but yet looks all complicated and elegant.  Even with the lowly tilapia, this dish has huge flavor and presentation payoffs.  Make this now, you will not be disappointed.  I found it at Epicurious – Roasted Halibut and Green Beans with Asian Cilantro Sauce

Roasted Halibut and Green Beans with Asian Cilantro Sauce

• 2 cups loosely packed cilantro leaves (from 1 large bunch)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 green onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/2 jalapeño chile with seeds, chopped (about 2 teaspoons) (I used a whole one)
  • 5 tablespoons safflower oil, divided
  • 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil, divided
  • 3 teaspoons soy sauce, divided
  • 2 8-ounce halibut fillets, each about 1-inch thick (or tilapia!)
  • 2 cups green beans, halved
  • 2 cups stemmed shiitake or oyster mushrooms

Preheat oven to 450°F. Place first 5 ingredients, 3 tablespoons safflower oil, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, and 1 teaspoon soy sauce in processor; puree. Season sauce to taste with salt.

Place fish, beans, and mushrooms in single layer on rimmed baking sheet. Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons safflower oil, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, and 2 teaspoons soy sauce in bowl to blend. Pour over fish, beans, and mushrooms; toss beans and mushrooms to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until fish is opaque in center and beans are crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Divide fish, vegetables, and sauce between plates.

Serves 2 (I doubled and thank goodness I did, because you will want more of this, believe me)

This will be my entry for Weekend Herb Blogging hosted by Astrid from Paulchen’s Foodblog.

Comments

I’ve made this before and loved it! It was in Fast/Easy/Fresh.

Student salaries don’t afford for halibut either. Although I wish they would throw in some kind of foodie stipend into our budget :P

It’s probably just me, but I haven’t had much luck with cooking halibut, even though I get pieces caught by our friends in Alaska – she caught a 200 pounder this year.
    So I would hav likely subbed tilapia any way. “Fabulous, crazy good, insanely good” sounds like a must try and the recipe does sound good.

Your sauce won me over in the title without even seeing that fabulous photo with the cheeky mushroom.

The Brits do have a way with words and I love it. I find I start to talk like they do if I’ve been around them even for a short time. I assure you with my southern accent I don’t sound anything like a Brit, but it’s fun.

I’m always looking for more ways to serve tilapia. I’m with Larry – I haven’t had much luck with halibut either.
    Sam

Here in New England, cod is local (and inexpensive), and that would work well in this dish. I think it’s great to know how to substitute, not just for affordability but also for availability. What a shame to give up on a good recipe just because you don’t have exactly what’s called for!

Oh my, definitely a winner! My brother and nephews went fishing in Alaska, so I think I’m getting some halibut soon! (Never buy it either though, and I like Tilapia a lot.)

Lol. Totally! I swear, they have their own dictionary. The accent makes them sound smart too, even if they’re not.

Another great recipe to try, Pam. I get Halibut fillets at Costco, so I have some in the freezer right now. I don’t like Cilantro, though, so I’ll sub for Parsley.

Wow–you do have some ‘british’ in you, Pam…. I have an Australian blog friend —and his expressions just tickle me to death…

That Halibut, Green Beans and Cilantro sauce sound and look so good…. YUM!!!!

Hope school is going well so far.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

Truth be told, I’m kind of offended at paying $19 per pound for any food. So I stick with tilapia or flounder or something more affordable, and hope for a great recipe like yours to make it perfect. And my kids accuse me of insanity when I use British expressions, especially after watching some of those wonderful Masterpiece Mystery offerings.

i’ve been tempted to drink sauces before, but never quite so tempted as i am right now. that cilantro sauce sounds AWESOME!

Glad I came across your post.Had too much meat yesterday and was looking to seafood recipes to try this coming week. Im excited to give this one a try, if you won’t mind I’d love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it’s all set, Thanks!