What Would You Chose?

Some of you may know that I am having new floors put in the first floor of our house.  Well, it’s been delayed…really is there anything involving contractors that actually occurs on time when expected??  But anyway, I had to pack up my 153 cookbooks.  Yes, I know exactly how many cookbooks I have, thanks to Goodreads!  The thought of being without my cookbooks for who-knows-how-long was frightening.  So, I allowed myself a milk crate full of books.  I thought you might find it interesting to see what I chose.  A lot of it has to do with season, it’s summer, it’s hot and there’s a lot of produce.

First the basics:

And for all those herbs and produce:

And because it’s summer:

So, there is my milk crate.  What would be in your milk crate?

Comments

I would definitely keep the Bittmans and The Perfect Scoop (if I owned it). I’d also have to throw in Michael Symon’s Live to Cook…as I’m cooking through it and all :P

Various recipes printed from your blog and other food sites. I have about 60 lose pieces of paper on my cookbook shelf. I would put them in a notebook, but notebooks are too tall for the shelf. I guess I could raise the shelf just a bit. This is the first time it has crossed my mind to do that.

I’d definitely have to have King Arthur Flour’s Whole Grain Baking and Peter Reinhart’s Bread Baker’s Apprentice in my crate.

By the way, I feel for you on the upheaval during your floor replacement. We had some of our hardwood replaced while we were on vacation just to avoid being in the mess.

Very interesting post Pam! I’d have to keep Tyler, Bittman, Mario’s latest, Gale Gand’s Brunch, Michael Symon’s book. Come to think of it, I don’t think I could pack away my books. They would have to be sitting in piles in my bedroom or something.

I’d def keep the Flavor Bible and Small Batch Preserving. My notebook with my fav, most used recipes, and of course my Cuisine @ Home Grilling book. Thanks for all the great recipes and book recommendations. BTW, I’ve never heard of “Goodreads.” I’ll have to check into that one. Blessings, SusanD

Oh, hard choice!! Authentic Mexican by Rick Bayless…Mark Bittman’s Kitchen Express…for sure…a few others to round things out ;)

In my milk crate, you’d find Pierre Franey’s 60 Minute Gourmet, my 1950s era McCalls and Ladies Home Journal cookbooks, a bread cookbook, and, because it’s summer, an ice cream cookbook. And I had my kitchen floor ripped up the week before Christmas 2008, remember? You must have seen the pictures of Thor trying to get past the misplaced fridge! At least your kittycats won’t have that problem.

I really want the flavor bible! I would definitely keep the classic Betty Crocker out. She has an answer to everything. Anything that is too ‘vanilla’ in her book, I can always spice up!

@Natashya – lol.

I had a similar conundrum when we relocated and I knew my cookbooks would be out of reach for some time. The only ones that made the cut were Everyday Food 1 & 2 and a few Cooking Light editions…but then, I don’t have any of these awesome ones you have listed.

A couple of months ago I finally got all of my cookbooks out of storage – for two years! Between my pots and pans and my cookbooks, I was a happy camper. Of course during those two years I did find a couple of cookbooks to add to the collection…

Smoke and Spice would be in there, along with:

Joy of Cooking 97 version
    Barbecue Bible – Raichlen
    Big Bob Gibsons – Lilly
    and
    my printed 4″ binder of recipes I’ve printed out from my BigOven collection.