Apple Crisp

Apple Crisp

As we say goodbye to summer and welcome fall, it is also time to say goodbye to Mark Bittman and hello to Giada De Laurentiis at I Heart Cooking Clubs.  For my last bye bye to Mark (not that it will be my last Bittman recipe, heaven forbid!) I decided to go with a simple classic dessert.  It doesn’t get much easier than an apple crisp, and as someone who plans to go to her grave never having made a pie crust, it’s really the perfect solution.

This was so good, topped with some frozen vanilla yogurt, a perfect fall dessert.  Almost a little too perfect.  I’m trying to decide if perhaps I need to make one of these a week.  Because really, shouldn’t one always have some apple cinnamony goodness readily available?

Apple Crisp

• 6 cups peeled, cored, sliced apples or other fruit
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 5 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into bits, plus extra for greasing the pan
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
  • 1/4 cups chopped nuts (optional)
  • dash salt

Preheat the oven to 400.  Toss the fruit with half the cinnamon, the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, and spread it out in a lightly greased 8-inch square or 9-inch round baking pan.

Combine the rest of the ingredients, including the remaining cinnamon and sugar in a food processor.  Pulse a few times and then process until everything is well incorporated, but not uniform.

Spread the topping over the apples and bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until the topping is browned and the apples are tender.  Serve hot, warm or room temperature.

This will be my entry for I Heart Cooking Clubs!

Cookbook used:

Comments

Once a week apple cinnamony goodness sounds perfect to me. You do that and I’ll promise to be standing outside your door once a week. With a plate.

I love, love, love apple crisp! I always use the recipe in the New York Times cookbook that my mum had while I was growing up. Page 618. I picked up a copy of my own at a second hand store. The funny thing is that the only thing I have ever made out of that book is the apple crisp!
    I like mine with coffee ice cream…none of that frozen yogurt stuff for me thank you. And coconut is for pina coladas! :)

It’s still a little too warm here to start baking, but once it cools down, this will be the first thing I throw in the oven! Yummy! I, too, plan to go to my grave never having made a pie crust. :)

You are so funny, Pam. Never, ever going to make pie crust?? :)

But I do adore crisps. All crisps. Any kind. Any fruit. As long as there is vanilla ice cream on top!

Yes, I think warm cinnamon and apples should be available at all times – at least during the fall! I love apple crisp…and since I have tons of apples, I need to make one asap!

I just saw Mark Bittman here in TO…pleasant fellow.

As for apple crisp, one of my fave desserts, so easy and so tasty – I could eat the whole baking dish (I have)!

Adding to my list of “what to do with all those hand picked apples from the apple orchard?” Not a tough sell to say the least.

Pam, this is probably one dessert I could eat for the rest of my life – apple crisp/crumble has a very special place in my heart, I absolutely love it. Actually, you’re making me crave it right now. :D

Apple crisp is one of those recipes that you simply must make at the beginning of every fall season. It looks beautiful!

apples + cinnamon + butter + a cold vanilla refreshment of some sort = satisfaction. and yes, i always have it on hand, even if it means canned apple pie filling and ice cream from the back of the freezer. :)