Pasta with Pesto, Potatoes and Green Beans

Pasta with Pesto, Potatoes, and Green Beans

Do you ever make a recipe that you think is not going to work?  I know.  It seems silly, because there are a bazillion and one recipes that I think sound good, so why would I chose one that I fully expect to not like?  That’s a very good question, one that I really have no answer to, other than…I had all the ingredients.

This was one of those recipes.  I see it everytime I browse through Everyday Food: Great Food Fast from Martha.   While it sounding intriguing, it didn’t sound like it would be very good.  But in an effort to eat real and seasonally, I needed to use the lovely potatoes and green beans that were provided by my CSA. I also needed to use some pesto that was still in the freezer from last June, as I replenish my stash.

I am pleased to tell you that I was wrong.  This was good.  Really good.  Crazy easy – everything cooks in one pot of boiling water!  Also, I discovered Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta!  I don’t like whole grain pastas, so I didn’t have high hopes for this, and once again I was proven wrong!  This was every bit as good as regular pasta and maybe even a little better!

Pasta with Pesto, Potatoes and Green Beans

• 2 waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 8 ounces cavatappi
  • 8 ounces green beans, trimmed and halved
  • 1/2 cup Pesto
  • Pepper

Peel and cut 2 waxy potatoes into 1-inch cubes; place in a large pot of water; bring to a boil.

Add 1 tablespoon salt and 8 ounces cavatappi or other short tubular pasta; return to a boil; cook 2 minutes.

Add 8 ounces trimmed and halved green beans. Return to a boil; cook until vegetables are tender and pasta is al dente, about 6 minutes.

Drain; toss with 1/2 cup pesto; season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.

It says – serves 4, but for us it only served 2 for dinner, with 1 lunch the next day.

This will be my entry for Heart ‘n Soul Blog Hop

And for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights hosted by it’s lovely and talented creator, Ruth at Once Upon a Feast.

****  And Happy Birthday to my MOM!!!  *****

• Sharing is fun!Share on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone

Comments

haha this is actually a pretty classic Italian dish! I’ve always thought it’s slightly weird to mix pasta and potatoes…but now that I’m back to running again, let the carb loading begin!

I’ve always enjoyed pesto, potatoes, and green beans together, just never really thought of combining pasta with potatoes. Sounds good to me! Let there be carbs!

I don’t mind be proven wrong in a case like this! I don’t think I remember ever mixing pasta and potatoes, either…but it definitely sounds like delicious, carby heaven ;) And thanks for sharing this with the hearth and soul hop this week, too Pam!

Who’d think potatoes would be a good addition to pasta? I understand why you skipped it often, and good for you for trying it anyway!

neat and cute. I recently made made some pesto…from leftover greens. A bit of Parsley and some wild Arugula. With 4 tbsf oil ( not streaming olive oil) and half a handful of nuts. Stand up very well to shortcut pasta and potatoes :)

Just what I needed; – have some nice pesto – made with my last basil – autoum has come to Denmark!
      Will sure try this recipe – looks my ideas of food-the-easy-lazy-way! still, like you I don’t like whole grain pasta. Maybe I should give it a try!

I would have hesitated with this one too. It doesn’t seem like pasta and potatoes would go well together. But it certainly does look delicious and I believe you that it was!

I was just reading this when Alexis looked over and said, “What’s that? It looks good.” I concur. But unless you had told us it was good, I would have had the same thought that you did at first. Nice job, Pam.

I made a Marcella Hazan version of this dish some time ago and loved it – turns out it’s a real classic, and I’ve made it many times since. I think I was surprised at how light it was considering it combines potato and pasta – not at all heavy as you might expect.
      Sue

The 1st time I made this pasta I thought the same thing.It’s interesting how everything works together to make a great meal.
      Mimi

I find that I’m always drawn to recipes whose flavors I just can’t imagine. If my tongue can’t figure out what it’s going to taste like, then I’ve just got to cook it. With this recipe, I’m intrigued by the combo of pasta and potatoes. Thanks for linking with the Hearth and Soul hop.

Hi Pammie! Wow, I certainly am interested in the idea of doing a pasta with potatoes in the mix! I haven’t ever done that, so thank you for expanding my culinary horizons! Thanks also for sharing on the hearth and soul hop this week. Alex@amoderatelife

This whole recipe is new to me – but I guess I will just have to trust that it all goes together and WELL!
      Thanks for sharing this with us at the hearth and soul hop!