Basil Pesto–A Taste of Summer in the Dark Days of Winter

Basil Pesto

I know what you’re thinking, “Basil pesto?  Pam, really!  In the middle of winter, the week of Christmas?  What are you thinking?”

What I’m thinking is that this is the best time for basil pesto.  This is why I preserve my herby summer bounty.  So, that in the middle of winter, when I am stretched for time, out comes a jar of basil pesto.  One perfect jar of summer goodness, ready to sauce a pound of pasta in the blink of an eye.  And isn’t that what we need right now…a dish that goes together in the blink of an eye!

Basil Pesto

I love nothing more than a simple sauced pasta dish as my main course, but if you were making a fancy shmancy holiday dinner, some pasta dressed with the lovely pesto, would make a pretty green side dish!

This lovely pesto comes from Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipesby Giada De Laurentiis.

Basil Pesto

• 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • About 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

Into the bowl of a food processor,  add the garlic, basil leaves, pine nuts, salt, and pepper. Pulse until finely chopped. With the processor still running, slowly pour 2/3 cup of olive oil. Check for a thick, yet smooth consistency, adding more oil if necessary. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the parmesan cheese.

Makes enough to sauce one pound of pasta.

This will be my entry for Heart ‘n Soul Blog Hop

And for I Heart Cooking Clubs!

Comments

The taste of fresh basil definitely throws me into summer more than just about any other! This must be glorious in these frigid temps!

There is no better time than winter, pesto is fresh when everything else seems dull. I have mine frozen also, but I did not thing to put it up in the one pound pasta size. I do take it from the freezer and cut a thin slice and add to my soup, or on top of spaghetti or other pasta dish.

Stir this through spaghetti, add sliced tomatoes, finely chopped anchovis, halved black olives and mozzarella on top, put in a pre-heated oven for as long as needed and enjoy. That will (honestly) be our dinner tomorrow.

Mouthwateringly lovely ;-)

I would probably have a bunch of people whining that they don’t want green goop on their pasta. That’s just how my guys are! But I’d still like to try it.

Good for you! This pesto looks heavenly right now and I’ve got some in the freezer that I’ve been needing to dig out. I’d much rather think about pesto on pasta than Christmas Cookies. But that’s just me. Merry Christmas to you and your family Pam.

So you make it and freeze it? I adore pesto and have basil in the summer but I’ve never tried to preserve it. I sure will, next year!

Meantime, that looks like a great recipe and I’m going to bookmark it. Thanks!

Our basil failed this year for the first time. So I reject your pesto taunting ;)

And making plans to raid your back yard next year if our basil fails again!

I must venture into canning. I freeze my pesto in ice cube trays and, while it’s still delicious, it loses some of the vibrant green color. Yours looks fresh picked!

I adore pesto year round! I lived in a city in Italy named Genova, famous for its basil and pesto. Seeing your picture and thinking about pesto makes me miss it **sigh**. I am follow ing you form the H&S hop. I would love it if you could follow me back at Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Pam, I knew you’d have a good pesto recipe. Do you think this would freeze (for those of us who don’t can?). BTW, I made a batch of your granola to send to Alex at college. It was the only thing she wanted!

Kim

11. Patty says

Do you seal the jars like jelly? How long is the shelf life if you just make it and put it in a jar?

Trackbacks