Green Chili with Crispy Corn Tortilla Strips

Green Chili with Crispy Corn Tortilla Strips

Do you know how many chicken carcasses I have in my freezer?  Me neither.  But it’s a lot.  It fills a whole big Marshall’s bag full (all my bags from Marshall’s are huge, because somehow, I always buy 10 million things when I’m there).  (I love Marshall’s and they love me). Sorry.  I digress.  Back to chicken carcasses.

So, yeah, I have a bunch.  So, I make lots of chicken soup.  Lots.  So, when I saw this recipe in Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster’s Marketby Sara Foster, I was all over it.  It called for 4 cups of cooked chicken, which in Pam-carcass-speak, translates to 2-3 carcasses.  I used two.  It also called for 6 cups of chicken stock, but since I was using carcasses, I just used water.

It was good.  Mighty fine.  My only qualm is that it didn’t call for all the usual garnishes…sour cream, cheese, avocado…stuff I associate with this kind of green chili.  But if you look at the picture with the pile of Monterey Jack on the top, you’ll see I felt free to add my own.

Rather than type up the whole recipe (which is long…not difficult but long), I found a video on ifood.tv that shows Sara making the recipe!  The recipe is also included below the video.

I pretty much followed the recipe, except that I used chicken carcasses and made it in the slow cooker.  I removed the carcasses about 30 minutes before serving, and pulled the meat off the bones.   Also, I used beans from my freezer instead of canned.

This will be my entry for Souper Sundays (Soup, Salad, or Sammie) hosted by Deb at Kahakai Kitchen.

Comments

Making this with the whole chicken must have given it a much better flavor! And good call on the garnishes. They are necessary.

My thoughts are on warm and spicy these days. This looks delicious–especially with utilizing whole chickens. I can smell the deliciousness wafting about–part of the whole experience.

Best,
    Bonnie

This must be good with using the chicken, and now I’m picturing the Marshall’s bag in your freezer! We use tomatillos often here at our house. I like chicken with verde sauce better than the red.

Good Morning Pam…. YUM—I love green chili… When I was in Santa Fe, New Mexico back in the ’80’s, we went to a Mexican Restaurant for lunch. I ordered chili—and MAN–was that the hottest chili I have ever had. My lips burned, my eyes watered, my nose started running —and I almost felt steam coming out of my ears… Did you ever have that horribly spicy and HOT chili before? They called that “real” Green Chili… I’ve never had it since… ha

Hugs,
    Betsy

I love that you have a freezer packed with chicken carcasses. On the surface it may seem creepy, but we foodies know…

And I agree with you on the garnishes. good call!

Pam – You are such a treat! I love Marshall’s too (especially the kitchen section).
    Sounds delicious. I’m glad you took it upon yourself to add cheese;-)

Me, too, with the carcasses. I boiled up a couple and sent them back to college with my last departing daughter last Sunday. She was very happy. Her roommates were very jealous.

I’ve got leftover cornbread from last night, and decided to make chili to go with it tonight – so this is perfect.
    I’ll let you know how it goes…
    “Quickly”, is my bet! ;)

How fabulous to have chicken carcasses in the freezer. Your chili sounds delicious. Bones always bring such incredible flavor to everything.

True confession – I don’t think I’ve ever been in a Marshall’s (shh, don’t tell ’cause now I’m going to have to check them out).
    Sam

I’m smiling ’cause I have bags of chicken bones in my freezer too. Every once in a while I clean things out and make stock with them.
    Sara Foster is a gem; I love her recipes. This soup looks wonderful. Going to watch the video after I comment.

(and yes, I adore Donna Hay. So glad you introduced me to her. I just renewed my subscription, after a good swallow or two as it’s not exactly a bargain.)

one can never have too many chicken carcasses. yeah, that’s a lie–if the freezer’s too full for ice cream, you have too many. that’s my rule. :)

I just used up the capon that had been in my freezer FOREVER. He made several tasty meals and then I boiled the remains for some Matzah Ball Soup.

Mmmm….. soup.

Yours looks delicious. Especially after the additions. Chili isn’t chili in my world without sour cream and cheese.

♥ Rebecca Jean