Green Salad with Oil and Vinegar

Green Salad

You know what I heard?  I heard that there are still people who buy bottled salad dressing!  I know.  Why would you?  Have you read the list of ingredients?  It’s filled with things you can’t even pronounce.

Oil and Vinegar

Once you’ve made your own, you’ll never go back to bottled.  It’s so easy.  I mix up a jar of basic dressing at the beginning of the week, and then it’s ready any time I want a salad.  Plus, you can add all kinds of things to change it up.  Use nut oils or herb-infused oils, lemon juice instead of vinegar, or herb-infused vinegars, garlic, anchovies…seriously the possibilities are endless.

OIl and Vinegar

This is the basic formula from The Best Recipes in the Worldby Mark Bittman.

Oil and Vinegar Salad Dressing

• 2 tablespoons minced shallots or red onions, optional (I didn’t have any)
  • 1/4 cup sherry, balsamic, or wine vinegar
  • 4-6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to taste
  • salt and black pepper to taste

Whisk the ingredients together, beginning with 4 tablespoons of the olive oil and adding more as necessary.

This will be my entry for Heart ‘n Soul Blog Hop

and for

Which is coming up next Thursday, February 4th!!  Right here!  Don’t forget to enter.

Also, Girlichef is doing a Bittman roundup, where she is giving away a copy of The Food Matters Cookbook!!!!

Comments

I’m still amazed that people continue to buy bread now that Artisan/Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day has come out. So salad dressing really is beyond me.

I’m so with you Pam. Why would anyone buy bottled dressing?

I’ve made my own since I first starting cooking and would never, ever eat the bottled stuff. I mix mine in a jar just like you do too.
    Sam

One thing I love about making my own salad dressing is that I can alter the proportion of oil to vinegar. With a very good, sweet balsamic, I need hardly any oil at all, but my general proportion is closer to one-to-one or, with very tart red wine vinegar, one vinegar to two oil.

Ah homemade just tastes better too! I love using dijon mustard to give it a little more flavor and help hold the oil and vinegar together.

Oh yay! A handy dressing formula! I like making salad dressings and am always collecting recipes for them. But I like to experiment too. I’ll have to tape this to the inside of my pantry door.

Oh the delicious freshness of one’s own salad dressing!
    I usually do it just before every salad but I like the idea of doing up a basic dressing at the beginning of the week and adding ingredients as desired. Great idea!

Best,
    Bonnie

I loved your post today. I like being able to tailor dressings to our tastes. I’m behind you 100% on this one. Have a great day. Blessings…Mary

I make salad dressings, too, but my guys just love some of the white dressings, like ranch and blue cheese. So we buy some and make some.

I figure we have to choose our battles in what they’ll eat.

I grew up with “orl and vinegar” dressing, as well as wilted lettuce from my other grandma. Always makes me remember when I make a plain dressing, although I usually soup mine up a lot.

Pammieee! I just made this dressing! It is SOOOO good. I never ever buy bottled dressing. Seriously I cant stomach them! It tastes so delicious when the shallots kind of marinate a bit~ I also add some crushed garlic, but i am crazy that way!

My friends always say ‘bottled dressing is just so easy’. I always look at them with a confused look…because homemade dressing is so easy…and SO much better!

12. vincent says

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

We pretty much always make our own although it was never a conscious decision. Once I learned how, the basics of vinaigrettes and suspended emulsions, we just quit buying them mostly out of convenience.

Sadly, I grew up on seriously sweet dressings – Catalina, Russian, French – all of them full of lots of icky ingredients but so good tasting. I struggle with vinaigrettes – I want them thicker and sweeter ( I refuse to use artificial sweeteners). So sadly I eat very little salad. I am going to give this a try and hopefully I will be pulled into the healthy, clean, deliciousness that I know this is! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!