Chicken Wraps with Quick Pickled Carrots

Chicken Wraps

Usually cooking doesn’t involve too much of my brain.  And personally, I like it that way.  Because when I get home from school, there is very little of it left.  So, I blindly and gratefully follow a recipe, letting someone waaay smarter than me, tell me what to do. But the other day, I had some leftover, cooked chicken.  I had marked some pasta recipe to try.  But really, I was exhausted, and the thought of boiling the water and cooking the pasta, and getting out a skillet for the sauce, was more than I could handle.  Two pots?  That was exactly, two pots too many.

So, I thought…what about a wrap?  No pots.  Healthy.  Easy.

I made some Quick Pickled Carrots from Quick & Easy Vietnamese: 75 Everyday Recipes by Nancie McDermott (I know…second time this week!), because I love the sweet, tart crunchy tang that they bring to sandwiches. Then I tossed the cooked chicken with a little Asian chili sauce.  Laid down a tortilla, a lettuce leaf, then some of the chili chicken, and topped with a generous mound of carrots.  YUM.

Everyday Pickled Carrots

• 1 1/2 cups water
  • 3/4 cup white vinegar
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups shredded carrots

Combine everything but the carrots in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring, until the sugar and salt dissolve. Pour into a bowl and let it cool to room temperature.  Add the carrots and set aside for 20 to 30 minutes.  Serve at room temperature, or store in a covered jar in the fridge, scooping them out as needed.  Will keep for about 5 days in the fridge.

These are great on sandwiches, in wraps, on top of salads, garnishes, or a side dish!!

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Comments

Those pickled carrots definitely amp up those wraps from run of the mill to seriously delicious! You did way better than I do when I’m feeling lazy…those are the days I order sushi!

My hat is off to you teachers. I can’t imagine spending all day in a room full of someone else’s rowdy kids. When I was a kid I was always afraid of my teachers.

This week has been like Christmas all over again with the big 5YO birthday madness (which doesn’t really end until Sunday) – I was so tired on Wednesday, I ate a bowl of cereal for lunch. This would have worked perfectly too.

As someone who loves carrots, this looks superb! I’m going to have to try making those carrots. Something tells me that I could just eat the whole jar.

You’re all over this pickling thing, aren’t you! They look really pretty, and that’s half the battle in my pea sized brain.

One of my favorite falafel shops always had a great carrot salad option to have on your sandwich… chicken or falafel… that and the parsley onions. I had forgotten how much I liked them.. thanks for the recipe!

I know how tired I am after an all day sales job, I can’t imagine how exhausted you are coming home from a hoard of hyper children. I love these pickled carrots and this recipe.

Hi Pam – whether you put a lot or a little of your brain into your photos or posts, they are always beautiful and inspiring.
    Love pickled anything.
    LL

I really want to try these carrots, I love “crunch” in a wrap or sandwich, but lettuce is not always available or what I am seeking, thanks.