Creamy Cheesy Corn Grits with Ham and Parmesan

Creamy Cheesy Corn Grits

You know what I love?  Cookbooks that give me a lot of bang for my buck.  One such cookbook is Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster’s Marketby Sara Foster.  She crams so much on each page, it’s like getting three of four cookbooks in one.  Seriously.

For example.   The page where I found this recipe has a main recipe titled:  Creamy Cheesy Corn Grits for All Seasons.  Then that recipe is followed by 4 different ways to use that recipe depending on the season:  Winter – Ham and Parmesan with Balsamic-Roasted Tomatoes, Spring – Shrimp, Tasso, Asparagus, and Leeks, Summer – Summer Vegetables and Basil, and Fall – Sweet Potato, Bacon, Blue Cheese and Rosemary.  See?  5 recipes on page!  Since it’s winter, I went with her winter take (I’m simple like that).

This was a creamy, cheesy plate of love.  Seriously.

Creamy Cheesy Corn Grits with Ham and Parmesan

• 2  teaspoons sea salt, plus more to taste
  • 1 cup stone-ground yellow grits
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup diced country ham, sautéed to a golden brown

Bring 3 cups of water to boil over high heat.  Stir in the salt and add the grits in a slow steady stream, whisking as you add them.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook stirring often for about 40 to 45 minutes.  Stir in the milk and the corn kernels and cook for about 2 minutes to warm the corn.

Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, Parmesan, ham and pepper.  Stir until the butter and the parmesan melts.  Taste for seasoning.  If they’re too stiff stir in some more milk.

Serve topped with Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes.

Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes

• 6 plum tomatoes, halved
  • 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
  • salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400.  Place the tomatoes and onions on a baking sheet.  Drizzle with the rest of the ingredients.   Roast for 30 to 35 minutes.

For Make it With …  Mondays at Couscous & Consciousness for cornmeal!

and

This will be my entry for Heart ‘n Soul Blog Hop

Comments

I love getting more bang for my buck. This sounds like one delicious recipe…love the balsamic roasted tomatoes…what a nice touch!

I’m crazy for grits and could eat them everyday. I love them so much I did a series on grits one time on my blog after I visited a restaurant that had a “grits of the day” special.

You are to be congratulated Pam. It’s difficult (for me anyway) to get a good photo of grits and yours is outstanding!
    Sam

This looks delicious Pam. Even though I grew up in the mid-south (Virginia), I never had grits until I moved to Charleston, S.C.. They soon became an essential on my table and I can’t wait to try your recipe.

Best,
    bonnie

Hi Pam, I kept looking at the topping on that grit dish –and wondered if they were strawberries… I couldn’t imagine strawberries on top of a Creamy Cheesy Corn Grits with Ham and Parmesan dish… Glad to know they are tomatoes… ha ha

Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

Oh yes! I love recipes that give you variations…perfect for those days when I’m not feeling so creative. Grits, Parmesan, butter, corn…and pig. Seriously, what’s not to like?

Great choice, Pam – love this dish, especially with the balsamic roasted tomatoes. Tomatoes are very plentiful here right now, so I must try them over some grits – I imagine that is such a great combo. Sounds like an awesome book too – I think I need that one!

Thanks so much for sharing this at Make it with … Mondays, challenge cornmeal.

Sue xo

Had to Google ‘grits’. Is it similar to polenta? You know, we Dutch call cat litter ‘kattengrit’, but I knew you wouldn’t be cooking with yellow cat litter ;-) With polenta however, this could be a very yummy recipe.

I’ve heard of grits off and on my whole life, but I had no idea what it was! Hubby, who comes from the midwest, explained it to me.
    He said that as we travel through the country, I will definitely have some grits!

Personally, I just love the trend in cookbooks toward a seasonal arrangement. How cool to have a grits recipe for all seasons. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.