Pork Stew in Cider

Pork Stew in Cider

I am not a big fan of combining fruit with meat, but I make an exception for pork and apples.  When browsing through Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook, I came upon Pork Stew in Cider and decided it would be perfect for my every-Sunday-through-fall-and-winter slow cooker meal.  And it was.  I wanted to serve it over egg noodles, but all I had was some farfalle, and it was good, but I think egg noodles would have been even better.

Pork Stew in Cider

• 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 large tart cooking apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1 inch cubes
  • one 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained and cut in half (optional) (I didn’t have any)
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 7 grinds of black pepper
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons rubbed sage
  • 2 cups hard cider
  • Long-grain rice or egg noodles for serving

Coat the slow-cooker with cooking spray (or like me, just brush the inside with some oil).  Layer the onion, apple, water chestnuts, and pork in the cooker.  Sprinkle with the salt, pepper and sage.  Pour the cider over it and turn the cooker to HIGH for 20 minutes (if you have time).

Turn to LOW for 7-9 hours.

Serve with rice or egg noodles with a fresh grind of black pepper on top.

This will be my entry for Heart ‘n Soul Blog Hop

AND

This will be my entry for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Pia of Cook Healthy.

Comments

I looovvee fruit and pork together. But really I love apples more than most things on this worth. I eat one a day. And I should totally amp it up with this stew!

I served a chilled hard cider (from Trader Jo’s) at my last Sunday dinner. Is this the same item for the stew? Can you tell I am not an expert on cider, hard or otherwise? When I first read the recipe I was thinking regular cider and that would be quite sweet, thanks. We love pork and this would be delicious.

Love fruit and cider with pork (actually love pork anything) and water chestnuts would be great for crunch, though I never seem to have any either. LOL

I have to be in “the mood” for fruit with my meat. I’m a real savory meat dish lover. But, this actually sounds like something I’d make if I were in “the mood”. ;-)

This looks delicious! You should totally link it up to the Soup-A-Palooza on my blog. Lots of great prizes :) (And maybe you already have & I just didn’t see it yet…)

I’m with you with the fruit – pork and apples, yes, almost anything with lemon, yes, anything else – no thanks. This looks good – but I really don’t see the water chestnuts…. which is fine, because I can rarely find them.

Pork and apples taste great together but they always remind me of Peter Brady saying, “Pork chopssh and appleshauce….that’s schwell, Alisch”