Red Wine Pan Sauce

Red Wine Pan Sauce

I’m a fan of naked meat.  I don’t like barbecue sauce on my barbecue or gravy on my pot roast.  I don’t want anything to come between me and my meat.  This holds true for steaks, especially my favorite, the rib eye.  But not so much for filet mignon.  Not my steak of choice.  It’s too thick and doesn’t have the flavor of a rib eye.  So, I thought..how about a sauce..a pan sauce to be exact.

And guess what?  It was perfect.  It was just what this filet needed.  Now, there are a hundred and one pan sauces.  I just made a basic one, feel free to elaborate in any way you choose, or better yet, leave me a comment telling me how you would elaborate.

And, by the way, for those of you that reached this page by googling “naked meat” and were disappointed to find the ramblings of a 52 year old with a tea pot as a mascot, sorry.

The Very Basic Red Wine Pan Sauce

• 1/4 cup beef broth
  • 1/4 cup red wine
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • Salt and pepper

In the drippings of the pan (after you cook the steak), stir in the broth and red wine, scraping up the browned bits.  Over high heat, reduce to about 1/2 (or about 1/4 cup).  Whisk in the butter and Dijon mustard, season with salt and pepper to taste.

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Comments

My parents have always been naked meat fans as well, although they ate SO much steak that they’ve kind of beaten the love out of me. At least for a while. i can totally see the appeal in this pan sauce though. Looks delicious.

I too love my meat naked. Especially my rib eye! But I do have a few recipes that take a little touch of sauce and this wine sauce is very similar to one I use except that I have a few herbs in mine.

I LOVE wine sauce! ;-)

I’ve never had a filet cooked in a pan. It’s always been cooked on a grill or bbq.
    The sauce sounds lovely, especially alongside a big dollap of mashed potatoes and asparagus!

You are so absolutely right about Rib Eye versus Filet! The sauce looks glorious – man, I’d even have it with toast!

Ha! Ya. You could get some weird (or weirder) traffic than usual.

I’m a sauce gal. Yep. So, my general rule is “double it” because there’s never enough.

My dearly beloved HAS to have gravy or sauce with every stinkin’ thing he eats. He’ll eat his steak solo, but if it comes with rice or potatoes, he has to have gravy with it. As for me, I don’t allow my foods to touch. Food segregation is a must. Sectioned plates would be awesome.

Googling “Naked meat”? Don’t they have anything else to do?

Yes, rib eye. But this looks wonderful, love the photo. I saute a little chopped shallot in the butter to begin with, and some thyme because I have some. Makes up for the time I have to wait because it rests,

I love my meat naked too, but the neighbors kept calling the cops when I grilled. I swear I don’t know what their problem is!

You are right about steaks. Ribeyes are best with little help. Salt. Pepper. Flame.

Fillet on the other hand, while tender, needs some assistance in the flavor department. My favorite is an adaptation of Ina Garten’s gorgonzola sauce, it rocks with beef tenderloin.

Hi pam, As a kid we had gravy on everything. I didn’t even know what a steak looked like until college. I kid you not! I love steak and pan sauce like this! funny, i made two gravies this week, one a bittman white wine pan sauce. Will have to drag out the red but I love to drink THAT! Hugs! Alex

I love filet mignon – with or without a pan sauce, bloody rare… Your sauce sounds perfect – and simple (Love simple, too)
    I once used the term ‘madness’ in a post in March – was inundated with basketball fans ;-0