A Sad Weekend Cat Blogging. Scrappycat. We Will Miss You.

Scrappycat

When you have a 20 year old cat, you know that you are going to have to write the “goodbye” post.

What can I say about her.  She was my cat.  Oh she tolerated the other members of the family, but she was mine.  She was usually the first thing I saw in the morning when I opened my eyes, and the last thing before I closed them to sleep at night.

She supervised my sewing, my blogging, my cooking, my gardening, my reading.  There is not a moment of my daily life that Scrappycat did not take part in.

I can’t even begin to tell you what a special cat she was.  We’ve had lots of cats, and will probably have many more, but there will never be another like Scraps.  She ruled our entire house with a firm, but gentle paw.  If another cat was hurt, she rushed to be next to them, meowing in empathy.  If the humans in the house were fighting or yelling, she was right between them, slapping at their legs to get them to stop.

I am a better person for having loved and been loved by Scrappycat.

Scraps (aka Scrappycat) 1991 – 2011

Comments

1. Jane says

I’m so sorry to hear about lovely Scrappycat, she was so beautiful. My thoughts as another owner of a veteran cat are with you. xx

I am without words for you as words can offer no comfort for the loss of a loved one. I believe that you were not only lucky to have known Scraps for 20 years, but that she was even luckier to have spent an amazing 20 years with you. I send my love.

Tears are running down my face as I write this Pam. My only children were four-legged ones and I cried until I could cry no more when they died. I talked to them like people and they were our best friends. In fact it hurt so much when the last collie died that we haven’t replaced her.

I will remember your sentence where you said you were a better person for having known Scrappycat. That is so, so true. You’ll be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Sam

I’m so sorry to read this. But I know how you feel, having had the same thing happen to me a few months ago.

God bless Scrappycat. I know I was always happy to see her. And I’m glad she had a lovely long life with you.

5. Marsha says

I am so sorry to hear this but you will see her again on the Rainbow Bridge…I bet she is playing with my Fanga girl right now….Fanga crossed over last summer…My heart still aches for her..

ohnoooooooooooo! I am so sorry Pam. I’ve had cats all my life and do have that special cat like Scrappy. He lived to be 16. I’ll never forget him and so many of the endearing things that he did that are still so fresh in my memory. Just remember, she loved you more than anything!

Oh, my dear Pam,
    My heart is breaking for you. Your Scrappycat was so special…taking part in your every project. I’m remembering the picture of your sweet kitty curled up on your arm when you napped on the couch…And I love all the pictures you shared today. You have wonderful memories of her faithfulness. We will all keep you in our thoughts.
    Take care ~Natalie

Oh, Pam, I am sorry. I will miss her too! What a lovely tribute to Scraps. Twenty years is a long life for a cat.

pam my heart goes out to you… what a beautiful tribute… such a special kitty, i know the feeling well, 20 years and they are just a part of our soul… its never easy saying good bye, but what a joy that you got to say hello for long.

aww hun, i am so very sorry. my eyes are filled with tears & my heart is aching for you. i know there are no words that can make you feel any better.. but want you to know that i am thinking of you, and know exactly what you’re going through.

I want to say how sorry I am for your loss. You were surely blessed to have 20 wonderful years with Scrappycat, it makes her passing that much harder. I’ll send a prayer your way.
    ~Trish

So sorry for your loss Pam. She was a beautiful faithful little furry friend. Betcha’ she’s up there guarding your angel wings for you and playing with the feathers. I’m sending hugs your way.

Pam, so many of the photos of Scrappycat are replicas of my own little guy. When you take on the responsibility of being the cats caretaker (they are not really your cat, you belong to them, you are their human) you also hand off a bit of your heart as proof of the deal. Tough days, any day like today. Take care, and good by “Scraps”.

We’re dog people over here, but I get it, Pam. I totally totally get it. I am so sorry. No matter how old, it never makes it easier. *sob* (((hugs)))

Very sorry to learn of Scrappycat’s passing. Sounds like she had a wonderful, long life with you and your family.

She will not be forgotten.

16. Anonymous says

i am so sorry, my boy cat is 18 years old and we thought we were losing him last month, only for him to find another life, he was our honeymoon baby…i will be thinking about your beautiful scrappycat…

I am so sorry to hear about Scrappycat. She seemed like such a sweet, beautiful, and well loved kitty. Sending out purrs and love to you and your family during this sad time.

Oh Pam. That makes me so sad. I’m sorry you’ve lost Scrappycat. I’ve loved your photos of her and today we can look at some of those and smile in remembrance. Nobody will miss her as much as you…I know what it’s like when you say it’s YOUR cat. She was a special girl.

Oh, Pam, I’m so sorry. I walk downstairs every morning with trepidation, and my heart leaps with joy when Thor greets me. I am so sorry; Scrappycat, you had many invisible friends and fans, and we will miss you.

Oh beautiful Scrappycat – I’m crying my eyes out! What a sweet girl – her personality reminds me of Moon. Sending you a giant *HUG*!

I am so sorry to hear about Scraps. Even when we think we are prepared, it is still hard to lose such a devoted friend. Thinking of you.

I’m sooooo sorry, Pam. You’ve brought tears to my eyes b/c our pets are very much our family. Thinking of you.

Pam I am so sorry to hear about Miss Scrappycat. She was a beauty and I know that nothing can be said to make you feel better. She sounds like she gave you some wonderful memories.

24. wyo says

What a beautiful eulogy! (((HUGS))) Very sorry for your loss but very happy that you and Scrappycat had each other for so long.

25. Anonymous says

So sorry for losing Scrapycat..the loss of a beloved pet is to me even more grief sometimes than losing a human being, they are there with a person it seems all the time no judgments, tons of love and sweet purrs and loves..then when they cross the rainbow bridge it is heartbreaking, but think of this way she gave you love and you gave her love and affection, it enhanced her life and enhanced yours, what a wonderful feline and human connection..prayers for you and Scrappycat..from a big feline and canine lover…

I am so sorry about Scrappycat but happy she had such a wonderful life loving and being so loved. She will be missed Max and I send big hugs and purrs to you Pam.

Oh Pam, I am so sorry. You gave her a wonderful life. I understand some of them are dearer than other, and I ache for your loss. I have photos of my cats with my Viking #1, too.

Our feline friends are such wondrous creatures and every day with them is such a joy and blessing. So sorry for your loss of Scrappycat and thanks for sharing with us.

I read your blog sometimes,and always find it interesting and well written, definately will be making that red wine vinagarette !! Your tribute to Scrappycat was really touching. What a fine cat..

Trackbacks