Warm Mushroom and Haloumi Salad

Warm Mushroom and Haloumi Salad

I don’t get manicures or pedicures.  Nope.  What I do for myself is a Donna Hay Magazine subscription.  I know.  You’re probably saying, “Jeez Louise” if you were the type of person to say, “Jeez Louise” that is.  But you know what?  It’s soooo worth it to me.  To be able to sit in a comfy chair, with a cup of tea, a glass of wine, or a gin and tonic, and browse through her gorgeous magazine, looking for inspiration and recipes is a joy to me.  Because every single recipe has an awe-inspiring photo, and I love a good food photo!  It helps me to see how a chef visualizes the dish and gives me a standard to shoot for.

Warm Mushroom and Haloumi Salad

So, anyway, while browsing through issue #14, I found Warm Mushroom and Haloumi Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette.  This was everything I dreamed it would be and more.  And let me just say, that the warm vinaigrette may become my signature vinaigrette – it is that good!

Warm Mushroom and Haloumi Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 10 oz haloumi cheese, sliced
  • 20 oz large swiss brown mushrooms, I used cremini
  • 2 1/2 oz baby arugula
  • wedges of lemon to serve

red wine vinaigrette

• 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • salt and black pepper

Place the vinaigrette ingredients in a small saucepan, and cook over low heat for 4 minutes.

Heat a frying pan over high heat.  Add oil and cook the haloumi in batches until each side is golden, about 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove to a paper towel and keep warm.  Add the mushrooms and cook until golden, about 4 minutes.  Place the mushrooms and haloumi on a plate, top with the arugula and spoon the warm vinaigrette over the top, and serve with lemon wedges.  (I placed my mushrooms and cheese on top of the arugula).

Serves 4.

This will be my entry for My Meatless Mondays at My Sweet and Savory.

AND for Heart ‘n Soul Blog Hop

AND for Souper Sundays (Soup, Salad, or Sammie) hosted by Deb at Kahakai Kitchen.

It's a Keeper.

and for It’s a Keeper Thursdays.

Comments

Haha I treat myself to a cookbook a month…which is why I haven’t gotten a haircut since August. So…kind-of similar?

I’ve been gobbling up salads lately and this one looks fantastic! That warm cheese…sigh.

Beautiful photo Pam. I have a red wine vinaigrette recipe that I think I got over at Cathy’s Wives with Knives. It’s delicious and I’ll have to compare ingredients and try this one also.

Do what I do – buy a magazine subscription AND the pedicure. That way you can enjoy looking at pretty food photos, and have pretty toes at the same time. (For the record, I think cookbooks without pictures is a major FAIL. Clearly this one is not. Yum.)

Pam, hubby wants to start a food blog and I pointed him in your direction. I love your recipes, photos. I have to pass this one on to him to try out. Thank you for helping with my hairstyle:)

Beautiful salad, gorgeous photo’s and great taste…tea, wine, gin and tonic. We really do need to get together!

What a gorgeous salad. I love haloumi and this sounds like a great way to use it. I got a couple of Donna Hay cookbooks and have been having fun looking at them, so I can imagine her magazine is also great!

Well, I don’t eat mushrooms – I can’t get past the fact that they’re fungus – but this sounds almost tempting! No manicures or pedicures for me either; I prefer kitchen toys.

Pam, How are you doing today? It has been just over two years since B. had her accident and while I will say that there are days that I do not think about it, I still miss her and mist up when thinking about her.

xo the twins.

Based on your post and all the great comments, I see I’m not the only gal with a manicurist’s worst nightmare for hands. The perfect cookbook or indulgent ingredient are much better ways to spend :)

Thanks for sharing this fantastic recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop!

Oh this looks so goo! I just love mushrooms and there’s never enough recipes for me to fall more in love with them through. Photos are so good!!! I put your button for Garden Tuesday on my post too after linking up to your hop! Bye for now.

This salad is just right for this time of year–oh how I love haloumi!
    I make something similar with lentils; love the mushrooms in this dish.

Ever since the time when my daughter married that Greek guy, I’ve been hearing about the wonders of Haloumi cheese, but still haven’t tried it. I think your recipe might just push me over the edge. And, with mushrooms and arugula, it’s got to be delicious.

I love my Donna Hay magazine so much and all her books too. Love this pairing of the mushrooms with the haloumi–yum!

Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays this week! ;-)