Hot and Sour Chicken Noodle Soup

Hot and Sour Chicken Noodle Soup

I know it’s spring.  But just because it’s spring, that doesn’t mean I give up my cravings for soup.  Because really, is there anything more perfect than a lovely bowl of soup?  Everything you want, right there in a bowl.

Cute Home Goods bowls

And if it’s in a lovely bowl, even better.  See these?  These are my pretty new bowls from HomeGoods.  HomeGoods.  My most favorite store on the planet.  And yes, the design is a little smudged on one of them, which is really funny.  Why is it funny?  Because I stood there at the shelf, with my husband’s help, picking and choosing and putting back the ones that weren’t perfect, and somehow I still brought home a smudged one.  We are pathetic.

This recipe comes from my Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2004 (my all time favorite Cooking Light Annual), but you can also find it online, Hot-and-Sour Chicken Noodle Soup.  I am giving you the instructions from the original recipe, however, I used 2 chicken carcasses and did mine in the slow cooker.

Hot-and-Sour Chicken Noodle Soup

• 1/4 pound wide rice stick noodles (bánh pho)
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
  • 1 (8-ounce) can sliced bamboo shoots, drained
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/4-inch strips
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro

Cook noodles according to package directions, drain and rinse in cold water.  Set aside.

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in 2 cups of water and the next 9 ingredients (water through bamboo shoots). Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.

Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Stir cornstarch mixture into soup. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken; cook 3 minutes or until chicken is done. Divide noodles and soup amongst 6 bowls (it only served 4 for us) and top with fresh minced cilantro.

This will be my entry for Souper Sundays (Soup, Salad, or Sammie) hosted by Deb at Kahakai Kitchen.

Comments

I fully expect to be eating soup all summer long. Why mess with a good thing?

This hot and sour soup sounds delicious! But those bowls are serious rock stars. Love them! The smudge adds character :P

This looks absolutely wonderful. I have had an idea for this soup in the back of my mind for quite awhile – and now I don’t even have to come up with my own recipe! :)
    Also,. I love, love, LOVE Home Goods. We don’t have one near me, but I make do with TJMaxx, since, after all, they are the same company with many of the same “goods”. I am a total sucker for a pretty bowl.

We have a HomeGoods store close by and I have been there once. It seems I must go again, I am such a “stuff” lover. And it looks like they have good stuff! I adore hot and sour soup, and will try and make this. I like finding recipes that seem difficult to me on other blogs, makes me get with the program!

Yum, grated lime rind, cocoanut milk, and cilantro! Hubby has been on an Indonesian/Vietnamese soup recipe kick lately. I know he’ll want to make this one!

Soup looks wonderful and I love the bowls too. Big Guy hit Home Goods for my birthday presents this year, had a blast and I made out like gangbusters.

I can eat soup all year round. Love the bowls. Is this store the T.J.Maxx home store? I think I have one close and have never been. How crazy is that?!

oh, you were just excited about getting something new. i overlook tears in fabric and chinks in dishes all the time and then kick myself when i get home. nothing’s perfect, though, right?
    on a more jolly note, i’d like to inhale some of this soup posthaste. :)

This is the third post I’ve seen this morning with curry and coconut. I’m going to HAVE to have some for lunch.

And here you were doing so well the last two weeks! ;-) I am glad I stopped by to see that you had a soup this week. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sunday. It looks delicious. And of course, from living in such a warm climate–I think soup is a great dish all year round. ;-)

Trackbacks

1. […] it:  Orecchiette with Sausage, Peppers, and Feta, Roasted Sweet and Sour Beets and Carrots, Hot and Sour Chicken Noodle Soup, even Cranberry Liqueur!  And much, much more!  It seriously was a fantastic year for […]