Asian Chicken Salad

Asian Chicken Salad

I can’t remember the last time I ate at McDonalds.  It’s been years.  Years and years.  I’m not being all high-and-mighty, I understand completely that it’s probably only possible for me to say that because all of my children are now in their 20’s!  But even when my children were younger, fast food was not a very frequent event.

There are a few fast food menu items that I like though, and that is some salads.  Arby’s used to (not sure if they still do) have a salad with chicken and apples and cranberries that I thought was pretty good, and someone had an Asian chicken salad that I thought was good, until I looked at the ingredients (and calories) on the dressing packet.

What I bring you today is a salad that you can make in about the same time it takes to drive to a fast food restaurant.  I used leftover rotisserie chicken, and even with cutting the carrots myself (you could use those already cut carrots), I had this ready in less then 20 minutes.

I found this Asian Chicken Salad at Cooking Light, and like my recipe earlier in the week, I’m not going to bother retyping it in.  I didn’t change a thing, other then not using bottled ginger.  I keep my ginger in the freezer and when a recipe calls for ginger, I get a chunk, still frozen, and grate it on my micro plane.  Works like a dream.  The ginger comes out really fine and disperses the flavor nicely through the recipe. Then I just toss the chunk back in the ziplock and back into the freezer it goes.

Raise your hand if you noticed that I managed to do a week’s worth of posts at a so-called food blog, without posting one recipe!

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

AND for Souper Sundays (Soup, Salad, or Sammie) hosted by Deb at Kahakai Kitchen.

Comments

I am loving that ginger idea! It’s such a pain to grate when it’s at room temperature. I would NOT have thought that frozen is the way to go.

No fast food for me in about five years, either! And, actually…I don’t miss it at all. Not one speckle of it.

This salad looks delicious! Love the sound of that ginger dressing!

I’m with you on fast food, although it is a struggle for me with two little kids. They get so mad at me when I refuse to take them there. However, I really don’t like not knowing what’s in my food! This is a gorgeous salad. Thanks for the ginger tip!

It’s a beautiful salad-just as fast to prepare as a drive thru window but, oh so much better.

Thanks for sharing.
    velva

When I was a kid, fast food was very infrequent. My mom cooked (from scratch) every night. So McDonald’s, Arby’s, and Taco Bell were considered a special treat. And actually getting some soda? Forget about it! It was like dessert. I think it’s a generational thing.

Great looking salad Pam and who says you can’t link to the recipes on another site. Did I miss that in the rules? (I only say it because I used to do it all the time – ha).

Pam, I can’t tell you how much ginger root I had to throw out until I started keeping mine in a little jar with some vodka, in the fridge.

Hi Pam, not sure where I got the idea to freeze my Ginger but that is one fantastic idea! So right about the ease of using the microplane on the frozen Ginger. I think I’ll try the chicke salAd for sure!

My kids used to badger me all the time to go to the fast fooderies. So one night while driving to Myrtle Beach, I stopped for gas around 10PM, at a station next to the most famous chain. They begged, we gave them money, and told them to go buy 25 burgers, 10 fries and 10 drinks. the “fast” food took about 20 minutes. They’ve never begged again. But their salads sometimes do look tempting; great job replicating this one!

Looks awesome – we never ate takeout as a kid either….our “big” treat was fried chicken from a to go place!! I LOVE your pictures

I can’t stand fast food, but my huby loves it so I am always tryin to recreate healthier versions of his fast food favourites. This salad looks delish :)

The salad looks delicious–I love Asian Chicken Salads. The ginger tip is a good one. :-)

Sadly I didn’t make it by the blog and see it before the Souper Sunday posting was up. :-( I can add it to next week’s round up.

i’ve decided that sugar snap peas are one of the surprisingly tastiest things to come out of a garden, so i guess i’m starting on an asian kick myself. this is nice. :)