I have signed up for so many recipe email services, it’s ridiculous. I get them from Real Simple, Cooking Light, and Food & Wine to name a few. I usually give the recipe of the day a quick glance, and unless it really strikes my fancy, I hit the delete button. When Food & Wine sent an email about summer pickles, I was all over that like chickens on a June bug, as we in the south like to say.
Quick pickles are my most favorite way to preserve summer. Not for eating in the winter, but just a way to keep the veggies available to me for longer then a week. Like this for example. I had some asparagus that I had already had in the fridge for 4 days. I had no future plans for it, and I didn’t want it to go bad. Enter quick pickles. With quick pickles, we can munch on the asparagus for weeks.
I thought that this Winey Briny Quick Pickles would be good for the asparagus – and it was! We have already finished the jar of spears and are now working our way through the bits cut off in order to make the spears fit sort of attractively in the jar. My only question was the 24 small sprigs of tarragon. That seemed like a lot. A whole lot. I used 3 per jar and that was plenty, there was still lots of tarragon flavor.
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup tiny shallots, sliced lengthwise
- 1 1/4 cups white wine vinegar (6 percent acidity)
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 24 small tarragon sprigs (Or lots less!!!)
- Vegetables to fill 2 one-quart jars
- Pack vegetables into 2 clean 1-quart glass jars. In another jar, combine the salt, sugar, mustard seeds, sliced shallots, vinegar and white wine and shake until the salt and sugar dissolve. Add 1 cup of water and pour the brine over the vegetables. Tuck the tarragon sprigs between the vegetables. Add enough water to cover the vegetables and keep them submerged. Close the jars and refrigerate overnight or for up to 1 month.
To make these quick pickles, you might like to use: Ball® Pickling Salt – 32oz (by Jarden Home Brands), Ball Regular Mouth Jar Storage Caps Set of 8 and Terra Medi Greek White Wine Vinegar, 17 Ounce
This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!