Winey Briny Quick Pickles–Asparagus

Quick Pickles

I have signed up for so many recipe email services, it’s ridiculous.  I get them from Real Simple, Cooking Light, and Food & Wine to name a few.  I usually give the recipe of the day a quick glance, and unless it really strikes my fancy, I hit the delete button.  When Food & Wine sent an email about summer pickles, I was all over that like chickens on a June bug, as we in the south like to say.

Quick pickles are my most favorite way to preserve summer.  Not for eating in the winter, but just a way to keep the veggies available to me for longer then a week.  Like this for example.  I had some asparagus that I had already had in the fridge for 4 days.  I had no future plans for it, and I didn’t want it to go bad.  Enter quick pickles.  With quick pickles, we can munch on the asparagus for weeks.

I thought that this Winey Briny Quick Pickles would be good for the asparagus – and it was!  We have already finished the jar of spears and are now working our way through the bits cut off in order to make the spears fit sort of attractively in the jar.  My only question was the 24 small sprigs of tarragon.  That seemed like a lot.  A whole lot.  I used 3 per jar and that was plenty, there was still lots of tarragon flavor.

Winey Briny Quick Pickles

• 3 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
  • 1/4 cup tiny shallots, sliced lengthwise
  • 1 1/4 cups white wine vinegar (6 percent acidity)
  • 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
  • 24 small tarragon sprigs (Or lots less!!!)
  • Vegetables to fill 2 one-quart jars

Pack vegetables into 2 clean 1-quart glass jars. In another jar, combine the salt, sugar, mustard seeds, sliced shallots, vinegar and white wine and shake until the salt and sugar dissolve. Add 1 cup of water and pour the brine over the vegetables. Tuck the tarragon sprigs between the vegetables. Add enough water to cover the vegetables and keep them submerged. Close the jars and refrigerate overnight or for up to 1 month.

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Comments

Yum – love pickled asparagus though I’ve usually made it with dill. I MUST try tarragon. It looks “divoon” (I’m gonna’ let the “chickens on a June bug” reference pass) LOL

I totally want to do this! I’ve never pickled anything but I have always wanted to try.

The cobb salad down below has me drooling.

I love a good quick pickle too, but 24 sprigs of tarragon? That certainly does seem like a bit too much. I’m with you on that one. Love the idea of asparagus pickles.

Well, I love asparagus any way its prepared so I know that I’d like this. I made some refrigerator pickles recently with cucumbers. I just spent the past 2 days making traditional processed pickles and I concluded that it was way too much work!

You are the queen of pickles, no doubt! I could never subscribe to recipe sites, because I’d get lost in thinking about them, and never cook.

That’s really unusual, Pam. I think I’d love this! Looks easy enough to do too. Did you see that Mary at One Perfect Bite has asparagus pesto today? Will be trying that too.

I didn’t realize how much I loved quick pickling until last year…and now I’m hooked! This brine sounds super tasty!

Ditto, I get so many recipes it’s crazy. I did indeed save this same email from Food and Wine and just haven’t had a chance to give it a try. They look fabulous Pam.

Wow, what a brilliant way to keep asparagus and other summer vegetables. I’m thinking courgettes and also cauliflower would be great treated this way. I am soooo going to try this when summer comes back to New Zealand.

Sue :-)

I’m the founder/moderator for Punk Domestics (www.punkdomestics.com), a community site for those of use obsessed with, er, interested in DIY food. It’s sort of like Tastespotting, but specific to the niche. I’d love for you to submit this to the site. Good stuff!